Prophet 600 vs Prophet '08

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Prophet 600 vs Prophet '08

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:36 pm

My new project is demanding an analog poly, and more specifically the american brassy type.

Given my history with the Prophet 08, part of me has no idea why I'm even considering it (I've owned it THREE times) again. Some things bother me about it, but I feel they're mostly superficial things. Like the GUI. Some of it though is the overall stiffness of sound. It can cover a lot of sonic ground though; something which always draws me back in...

I've also owned the P600, but for a very short time. I remember totally digging it, but we had just bought a house and some unexpected bills had come up so I had to let it go - before I totally fell in love with it! Its got VCO's and overall vintage sound which I prefer. The gligli cpu upgrade addresses everything it was lacking. I remember having a lot of fun taping over the number pad and treating it like a preset-less synth.

At the end of the day, the P'08 (with pots) is more expensive, but easier to attain. Its also got all the extra features thing. The P600 chases the exact aesthetic sound-wise I'm looking for, but might take a little longer to hunt one down at the right price.

Typically, my mind would be made up very easily on the P600, but I'm trying to keep a reasonable and open mind towards the P08, which almost seems more practical.

Dr. Phibes

Re: Prophet 600 vs Prophet '08

Post by Dr. Phibes » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:49 pm

The P600 definitely has a ballsy sound that the P08 doesn't but then there's its greater functionality yadda yadda...

Sometimes I find that I just can't click with a synth despite telling myself I really should. Sounds like it's that way with you and the P08. To be honest, that was my experience with P600 as well but that was before the firmware upgrades turned up.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:08 pm

I didn't really "click" with my P600, but it's definitely a fine little synthesizer, and with the ol' poly-mod and an excellent unison mode (look it up in the manual, it's crazy flexible) it can make some pretty monstrous sounds.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:59 pm

I've considered getting the P08 more than a few times.
Haven't played on in person, so it's hard to tell from audio and youtube demos.
However, I feel like I have a yes and then no relationship with it whenever I listen to demos.

I get the sense, and I've heard it referenced by other's, especially present or previous P08 owners, and that's something called ear fatigue.
After listening for awhile, the sound becomes redundant.
I've also felt the P08 lacks in a nice punchy, ballsy low end.
People will play a lead and bass and the bass part sounds irritating to me.

Just my 2cents.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:34 pm

Seamonkey, you totally nailed the P08 for me. Ear fatigue is exactly what it gave me. The filter seemed to hang out in an uncomfortable range. Couldn't escape it really. It definitely shines in the super narrow high end. Super clean. Mid range is just too metallic sounding. Needs to be woody, in my opinion. The low end left a lot to be desired, couldnt smooth it out as much as I would like.

Thank you for reminding why I absolutely dislike that board.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:17 am

Commodore, why do you think you didn't click with the P600?

I remember being surprised by it, and feeling like it sounded better than the last Prophet 5 I had in the house. To be fair that P5 I'm pretty sure needed calibration, but nonetheless.

The only recordings I have of the P600 are for this collection of noise pieces I made for a Halloween party. I think its the P600, Mopho, and maybe the MS20? I gotta open those sessions up and see whats what...

I suppose the other temptation oughta be the Prophet 6, but I need to hear more demos first.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:01 pm

Here's a side of the P600, I've never heard. Obviously a lot of it is thanks to the CPU upgrade...

I think this is what I'm going with....

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:47 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:Commodore, why do you think you didn't click with the P600?
It just didn't do it for me. It's a good little synth for sure, and it's definitely nice that it's one of the ones that haven't gone quite up into Crazyland yet pricewise, but I spent hours mucking around on mine and I never really got ahold of anything where I could say "this is why I've got one of these!"

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:13 pm

Actually, come to think of it the clackety, cheapo keybed probably lay behind much of my ambivalence toward the p600.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:08 pm

Yeah, I do remember the keyboard left a lot to be desired....

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:16 pm

I dunno, I wasn't bothered by it. Cheap keybeds are a problem on a synth with velocity, but without, it doesn't really matter to me as long as they trigger reliably.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:46 pm

If anything its the noise that always bugs me...but usually that can be rectified by new bushings. Does the P600 have a Pratt & Reed keybed?

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:03 pm

Another interesting note along with the concept of 'sometimes you just don't get along with something' is that I keep opening up the Arturia Prophet V plugin. Since I'm in brassy sequential mode, its a perfect opportunity to mess with it again, to see if I can get hooked. But, like every other time I've played with it: 'wow, this thing actually sounds pretty alright!' But without fail, as soon as I start digging a little deeper: 'ugh, this thing is just allll wrong.'

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:07 am

The P600 is brassy but dark so it has almost always has a lovely ominous vibe. The P08 tends to be bright and brassy which appeals less to me.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:01 pm

Thats a great comparison, guyaguy. I can totally hear that.

My mind is pretty much made up - the P600 is what I'm going to go for.

Thanks in part to this thread, I've had a bit of an epiphany. I need to stop fighting against my instincts when it comes to this stuff. Yes, my instincts are almost always harder to attain. Totally worth it in the long run though. I also just transferred my Arturia V4 license to a pal, who in turn is going to help me pay for repairs to the Solus. Software is about as convenient as it comes, but it just doesn't inspire me. I've also been fighting really hard against the way that I write music. Yes, there are different methods out there, and I definitely enjoy exploring them. But at the end of the day, give me a shitty b movie on youtube and a couple of pieces of hardware - I can write till the cows come home.