Prophet 600 vs Prophet '08

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
Dr. Phibes

Re: Prophet 600 vs Prophet '08

Post by Dr. Phibes » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:53 am

tomorrowstops wrote:Thats a great comparison, guyaguy. I can totally hear that.

My mind is pretty much made up - the P600 is what I'm going to go for.

Thanks in part to this thread, I've had a bit of an epiphany. I need to stop fighting against my instincts when it comes to this stuff. Yes, my instincts are almost always harder to attain. Totally worth it in the long run though.
Oh absolutely. I think there is a tendency amongst us synth nuts - what with dealing with knobs and programmes n' all - to think in 'hyper-rationalised' terms i.e. not very rational at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm probably one of the biggest anti-woo types you could meet but I just think sometimes we choose what to ignore on grounds as flimsy as what we choose to acknowledge. If you like the look of keyboard, the feel and the providence, well, that can have has much impact on your creativity as anything else.
Last edited by Dr. Phibes on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:50 pm

Excellent thoughts, Doc.

While I'm waiting for the right P600 to pop up, I went ahead and ordered the teensy++ board. I'll get it all soldered up and flashed in the meantime.

We've talked about it before, but the specs for the lastest version of Gligli sound awesome. It literally seems to address all of the 'shortcomings' of the stock P600. A couple of the demos I've been watching bring this thing into Polysix territory, which is interesting. Especially since we've compared those two boards in another thread.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:09 am

seamonkey wrote:I've considered getting the P08 more than a few times.
Haven't played on in person, so it's hard to tell from audio and youtube demos.
However, I feel like I have a yes and then no relationship with it whenever I listen to demos.

I get the sense, and I've heard it referenced by other's, especially present or previous P08 owners, and that's something called ear fatigue.
After listening for awhile, the sound becomes redundant.
I've also felt the P08 lacks in a nice punchy, ballsy low end.
People will play a lead and bass and the bass part sounds irritating to me.

Just my 2cents.
Yes! Well described. I've also had a yes/no thing going on for the P08 and many chances to grab one easily enough but I think it's the spec and the hands on rather than the sound that calls me (I think it lacks character and when it DOES speak out it's typically the harsher sound that defines it, in a bad way - and when doing softer stuff.. well it's no Juno, it just seems quite soulless and generic vs the Juno 6/60/106 ). And I'm not entirely sure that even the Prophet 6 sounds much less anonymous from all I've heard. Certainly next to my Sub 37 and 106 combo!

I know there's much better sounding synths out there, even simple ones (like Juno 106) which TBH I'd end up trying to make the Prophet 08 'dumb down' to do the basic analog tasks anyway - and then think "gee why didn't I just stick with the 106 and its instant sweet/good tone and simple interface". The urge to buy new synths 'just to see' is strong in most of us I guess, but often times the simplest synths that sound good are the best when it comes to actual music (and productivity!).

The problem is turning the GAS off! :roll: :mrgreen:

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:24 pm

Then there's the jackasses on ebay asking $2500 for a P600. :banghead: What is wrong with people?!?!

Whats worse, is that some jackhole will actually buy it!