Axxe vs New Odyssey

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Axxe vs New Odyssey

Postby vin14 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:32 pm

A no-brainer I hear you all say?? I'm fully aware of the difference in features, so I'm just wondering if anyone thinks the fact that the Axxe is a genuine vintage synth counts. Not to mention the full-size keys and that they're a bit cheaper.
vin14

Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Re: Axxe vs New Odyssey

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:30 pm

The Axxe certainly will have a different character sonically. As do most vintage synths. My personal preference is for that character, and I will typically make the sacrifice of super duper features and fork over more $$ for that character. Plenty of people wouldn't do that. So you've got to assess how important various variables are to ya!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby madtheory » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:40 pm

Vintage does not automatically equal character. For example, your CS5. It's not great, is it? Certainly not as characterful as your Minibrute or the new MS20. Or a vintage MS20. Or the Novation Bass Station II. I've played all those and they're wonderful. I haven't tried the KARP yet, but I'd imagine it's what you really want. Personally I wouldn't touch the keyboard. IMO monosynths come to life when played via a weighted keyboard.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby Sir Ruff » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:30 pm

"genuine vintage synth"TM :lol:

anyway, yeah, if you're thinking of paying current Axxe prices, then that would be beyond a no-brainer to get an Axxe instead of one of the new Korg odysseys.... unless money was a serious issue and the Axxe was significantly cheaper.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:26 pm

To be clear, I'm not trying to identify 'character' as a positive or negative. Most synths that classify as 'vintage analog' overall sound different (to these ears) than anything classified as 'modern analog'. Again not good or bad, just different.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby vin14 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:52 pm

madtheory wrote:Vintage does not automatically equal character. For example, your CS5. It's not great, is it? Certainly not as characterful as your Minibrute or the new MS20. Or a vintage MS20. Or the Novation Bass Station II. I've played all those and they're wonderful. I haven't tried the KARP yet, but I'd imagine it's what you really want. Personally I wouldn't touch the keyboard. IMO monosynths come to life when played via a weighted keyboard.

You know what, I'm very fond of the CS5 despite it not having as much sonic possibility as the minibrute. When I'm jamming with it, it is 1980. I clicked with it instantly. I also clicked with the minibrute, but for different reasons. The MS20 mini however not so much. I guess despite the cost difference and practicality, I couldn't see past the cheap build and mini keys. That being said I'd like an Odyssey a lot more than an MS20 so maybe this time I'll look past that, but there's an Axxe for sale locally, I can't help thinking about!
vin14

Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Postby Jabberwalky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:37 pm

I thought the Axxe was so-so. Decent sound, but boring interface, and I didn't like the note priority.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Postby philip » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:38 pm

I used to have the Axxe, and now I have the Karp, and I can tell you,100%%-go for the new Odyssey.
philip

Postby Bitexion » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:01 pm

It's kind of like comparing a Volvo Amazon and a Lamborghini Countach just because they're both vintage.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:02 pm

Watch on youtube.com
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:16 pm

Bitexion wrote:It's kind of like comparing a Volvo Amazon and a Lamborghini Countach just because they're both vintage.

Or rather, an Amazon and a V70T5-R Mk. 1.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Postby mantrak » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:54 pm

There is no sense in comparing pure function (Korg Ody) and pure cool factor (AXXE). In five years, you will be able get used Korg Ody for 500 euros or less. For a good AXXE you will probably pay more than now. Anyway, one is original and another is scaled down replica.
mantrak

Gear: Minimoog D, Moog Sub 37, Voyager RME, Arp Odyssey MK2, Arp Axxe, Prophet 12, Arturia Minibrute, Roland Juno 106, Korg Polysix...

Return to Synth Shootouts