Korg Volca Sample (vs.) Korg Electribe ES-1

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg Volca Sample (vs.) Korg Electribe ES-1

Postby priima » Mon May 11, 2015 3:27 am

All I really want to do is:
• sequence custom drum kits (and some vintage kits)
• loop song sections for live gigs

Does the electribe allow loops longer than 4 bars? How much can be stored on the ES-1 internal memory in comparison to the Volca? How are the "SmartMedia" cards? What advantages does the ESX have over the ES-1? Can the electribe sequence external midi? (shooting for under $250, which is why the ESX isn't one of the main contenders).

Thanke~
<p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p><p>
priima

Re: Korg Volca Sample (vs.) Korg Electribe ES-1

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Mon May 11, 2015 4:29 am

I think you will be best off with the ES1. The Volca Sample is great, but it isn't really great for building. It can only store 10 sequences of 16 steps each and 6 songs, which can be up to 16 bars, but they have to be bars made up of the 10 patterns in memory.

Sending MIDI is also rather difficult as each of the 10 sounds available are in separate MIDI channels. Soundwise, you won't get much better than spending 800 or more on an MPC60 or SP12.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby stich » Mon May 11, 2015 5:00 am

I have the ES-1. The SmartMedia cards require a little reader so you can hook it up to your PC via USB, but otherwise they are just like any flash media. Not the best standard, of course and out of date.
stich

Postby priima » Mon May 11, 2015 3:13 pm

I wonder if something like this would read properly in the electribe:
http://www.kmart.com/link-depot-adapter ... ckType=G16

Anyone tried something like this? Maybe it'd just be easier to get a usb adapter...

I have heard in the past that the ES-1 lessens the low-end of the imported samples? Is this true? Sound like bullshit to me..
priima

Postby sequentialsoftshock » Mon May 11, 2015 6:50 pm

priima wrote:I have heard in the past that the ES-1 lessens the low-end of the imported samples? Is this true? Sound like bullshit to me..

It probably is.
bonne chance
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Postby priima » Mon May 11, 2015 7:05 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
priima wrote:I have heard in the past that the ES-1 lessens the low-end of the imported samples? Is this true? Sound like bullshit to me..

It probably is.

Probably is bullshit? Or probably is true? :oops:
priima

Postby Jabberwalky » Mon May 11, 2015 8:52 pm

It does nothing to the low end if you bring the samples in from the card. They are 32khz, so the high end is what you're losing. One minor thing to look out for. Windows 8 and those smartmedia readers don't like to work together. I've tried a couple and Win8 doesn't detect them. Could be just my PC, who knows.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | KarpOdyssey | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Volca | Es1 | Er1 | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Postby priima » Mon May 11, 2015 9:34 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:It does nothing to the low end if you bring the samples in from the card. They are 32khz, so the high end is what you're losing. One minor thing to look out for. Windows 8 and those smartmedia readers don't like to work together. I've tried a couple and Win8 doesn't detect them. Could be just my PC, who knows.

Sweet. High-end isnt as much of an issue for me, i'm in to lo fi sounds. As for the computer problem, i've always been a mac user so I imagine the SmartMedia is compatible. Is the newer lcd on the ESX a huge difference? That might be the only advantage I am attracted to on the ESX. I actually think the original ES-1 is more physically attractive than both the MKII and the ESX.
priima

Postby Tray » Thu May 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Old thread, but worthy of mention:

I cannot confirm whether Windows 8 has issues with SmartMedia readers, but I can say definitely that Windows 10 works PERFECTLY with my "Dazzle 14-in-1 USB 2.0" card reader (including SmartMedia). Worth noting is that unlike other cards, SmartMedia can EASILY be inserted upside down, which of course makes it unreadable.

I also find that inserting the SmartMedia card into the reader first then plugging in the reader via USB seems to work best. (Also always attempt a eject/safe remove of the drive before unplugging).

Lastly, it is very well known that formatting a SmartMedia card on a PC (of any OS) will likely mess up the card. Always format the card in the ES-1 (or whatever device you use). BTW, The above is true of almost all removable media (SD, compactFlash, etc):

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS FORMAT THE CARD VIA THE DEVICE IT IS TO BE USED ON...EVEN IF IT CAME PREFORMATTED FROM THE MANUFACTURER.

(Uppercase intentional to drive the point home...sorry for yelling ;-) )

Hope this helps!
Tray

Return to Synth Shootouts