Yamaha An1x vs Korg R3 for pads

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Yamaha An1x vs Korg R3 for pads

Postby Suprastin » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:10 pm

Hello, guys!
I'm sorry if there is a similar topic on this forum, but I couldn't find something close, where these two are in a comparison.
So, I decided to write here in the hope of your help.
I want a synth, that can do really beautiful pads - massive, rich and lush; atmospheric and evolving.
I know that Kawai K5000 can be better in this way than R3 and An1x, but now only used W-version is selling nearby, without control knobs on panel; it is selling for near 400€, and I have 430€, so I don't know if I could buy the simplest controller for only 30€.
So I decide between An1x and R3. I heard that An1x is surprisingly warm synth and almost all people who had it sing praises to it's sound.
But Korg R3 sounds not bad at all, as I know, because it based on the same engine as Radias, however someone said that it doesn't sound as deep as Radias. And unfortunately demos on youtube are low quality and presets, who people use in videos, are very aggressive, snippy and sharp, so I don't understand how it sounds. As I heard from demos, sometimes it sounds a bit plastic. But may be it sounds better in real...
And I forgot to say that price for it in used condition are not the same at all.
I live in Moscow, Russia ans I found Yamaha An1x here for 400€ (and it's a bit high price for it, as people say, but I'm ready to pay so much for it) and Korg R3 costs only 250€.
So when I found Korg for that price I thought that I need someone's advice here to decide between it and An1x.
Help me to make the right choice, please!

Best regards,
Nikolay
Suprastin

Re: Yamaha An1x vs Korg R3 for pads

Postby synthRodriguez » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:30 am

You might think about a Korg WaveStation for massive, evolving pads.

Woof.
synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Postby Suprastin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:27 pm

scottrod wrote:You might think about a Korg WaveStation for massive, evolving pads.

Woof.

Oh, thank you! One man nearby can sell wavestation ws1 to me for only 220$. I think it's a good deal.
But.. I heard that software version is good enough, because Korg engeneers made it, and also I don't know is it possible to change cutoff value in a real time. But I liked it's sound - it can do really evolving and even drone, ambient pads so beautifully!..
Suprastin

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:47 pm

The Wavestation filters are non-resonant (in the software version they are resonant). Filter sweeping isn't really the high point of the WS :?

Filter cutoff can be mapped to mod wheel or aftertouch for real time control.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Suprastin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:58 pm

meatballfulton wrote:The Wavestation filters are non-resonant (in the software version they are resonant). Filter sweeping isn't really the high point of the WS :?

Filter cutoff can be mapped to mod wheel or aftertouch for real time control.

Thank you. The resonant filter is not so necessary for me as cutoff. So I've decided to buy hardware WS, but the only moment that dissatisfied me is that it has 2mb memory (near 350 preset patches and 150 user's) instead of 4mb on Wavestation Ex version. Eh... And now for me it is possible to purchase WS1 version only. May be it will be too limited to me - 2mb; but I really don't know
Suprastin

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Most of the extra sample memory in the EX is used for piano sounds. Don't sweat it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby thehighesttree » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:07 pm

It looks like you've made up your mind already, but in case someone else is making this comparison, I've got both AN1x and R3, and although they're two solid bi-timbral virtual-analogs with assignable knobs and all the usual stuff, they each excel at a few different things...

The R3 is more modern with a better programming interface, although the rows of buttons are kind of strange and unintuitive in the dark. It's got lots of options and greater variety of FX than the AN1x. It has audio inputs and a vocoder, more filter modes, and a nice patching section that lets you assign physical controls, LFOs and EGs to a decent handful of parameters. You also get Formant Motion, which lets you take 16 ~7-second "samples" that can be run through the vocoder, which is nice but not very flexible because it doesn't do tempo-matching. The built-in mic with XLR port is nice too, and you can even run a dry signal through it if you turn on "DirectLv" in the Vocoder section to use it as a mic with FX.
For pads, it's nice with lots of FX options, and it's got decent control over your standard LFO shapes, including tempo-matching the LFOs. BEWARE THOUGH: you can't make a tempo-synced LFO change its speed with the patch system. Having 2 multimode filters is nice too, but keep in mind the 2nd one is more basic, and you can't automate changes to its resonance for some reason. It's a shame because it has a comb filter and it'd be really fun bring it in and out with resonance, but I suppose you can just assign a knob to Reso2 if that's a problem.
The sound of the R3 is pretty digital, comfortable in the middle-high end, but able to pull off certain types of more hollow low sounds...this makes it a nice vocoder and lead, and good for weird FX too, but not the most organic bass machine. It does shine with features like the Drive/Waveshaper, and that's what you've gotta realize: this synth "shines"; it can also crackle, glitch, stutter, hiss, AND EVEN SPEAK in some great, experimental ways...all digital. Overall a flexible synth with a solid "bread-n-butter" engine and some cool bonuses.

The AN1x is an old beast VA that lacks the vocoder and audio-ins, but has a great performance interface: 8 knobs each with a "shift-click", a pressure-sensitive ribbon controller, big mod/pitchwheels (unlike R3, if that's an issue), and a quality keybed with aftertouch. These physical controls can be assigned to up to 10 routings, with more options than the R3, but keep in mind that this is a CONTROL matrix: no LFO or EG re-assigning here, only in the respective sections for filter, amp, etc. It's definitely a better keyboard to play, and it's not much bigger either considering the 37-VS.-61 -key difference.
Another cool feature is the Scene Morph, assigned to the modwheel by default, that lets you blend between the two timbres: pretty much all parameters with continuous changes like cutoff, pitch, ENVELOPES, LFO speed, etc., can be interpolated...sometimes this feels like having dozens of sub-patches available within each patch. It won't change a square to a saw, but it's a great feature...ESPECIALLY FOR PADS!
AN1x also boasts a nice arpeggiator, with slightly more/different options than the R3's, but includes 30 patterns (vs. 6) as well; R3's arp lets you gate it, but otherwise has nothing on the AN1x's. It's also got a simple 8-16 -step sequencer that stores note/velocity/gate-time/+1parameter data per step, so it's good, if clunky to program.
I should say right here that the usual synthesis functions are fine to edit, but things like MIDI and System settings, arp functions, FX and the like are pretty lousy to program with that awful right-hand matrix...feels like dialing up settings on a VCR or my old Poly-800ii! The sound is nice and plummy though, full for a VA. Its architecture is more bare-bones than the R3 for the most part, but it's more immediate, barring the strange abbreviated jargon Yamaha uses for some things. Being an early VA, it doesn't do tempo-matching for the LFOs, but makes up for this with the Free EG. It only has one multimode filter followed by a HPF, and its ring mod is a joke, but everything sounds nice and it's got some deep oscillator-mod options. The Feedback parameter is great too.
One last thing I'll talk about with the AN1x is its Free EG: this lets you automate up to 4 knob-functions for up to 16 seconds or 8 tempo-synched bars! R3 has a single one of these per timbre (the "mod sequence") but it doesn't have as many routings, and although its "resolution" can be stretched out and played back with smooth motion for some cool results, 1 or 2 is less than 4!

So after all that, what do I recommend? Obviously the Wavestation is an "obligate" pad machine, but the AN1x is the best of the 2 for pads because it's got a great sound, lots of automation, it's really playable, and I suspect Scene Morphing would give you the kind of scope you want for massive soundscapes. You'll probably be perfectly happy with the Wavestation for pads, but AN1x would also fit the bill if you're looking for more varied Analog-style sound modelling. R3 is more of a screaming lead/vocoder synth.

That was a lot of text for a concluded decision!
thehighesttree

Return to Synth Shootouts