Korg Electribe vs OP-1

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Korg Electribe vs OP-1

Postby minondor » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:52 am

New Korg Electribe with volcas or Teenage Engineering OP-1, whic one is best?
Last edited by minondor on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
minondor

Re: Korg Electribe vs OP-1

Postby ronP » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:40 am

minondor wrote:Korg Electrive with volcas or Teenage Engineering OP-1, whic one is best?

Any Electribe, like my antiquated mkII version, is solid kit and can create new musical worlds every time the switch is flicked on. There is something to the layout and physical feel slightly more akin to"traditional modular" on a 'Tribe that gives a second to my vote.

The TE OP-1 is excellent, though; I just prefer 'Tribe (kind of like Apple vs. PC)

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100
ronP

Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:02 pm

What's your application?

If you mean the current Electribe and not one of the many earlier models make sure you read up on the limitations/bugs before buying.

The OP-1 is designed to be extremely compact and portable. Electribe plus Volcas is less so...multiple boxes, cabling, multiple power supplies, needs a mixer, etc. However, the Volcas are much more immediate to use with dedicated "knobs" (actuallly just nylon shafts).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Cubase 7, Live 9

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:22 pm

meatballfulton wrote:the Volcas are much more immediate to use with dedicated "knobs" (actuallly just nylon shafts).

There is an easy-to-do modification that allows for better grip while preserving the light visibility.

I just got the knobs in the mail, and I have begun drilling them yesterday - a bit more neatly and carefully than in the video though, so mine look nicer :lol: . They will go on my SQ-1 :) .

Edit & update:

The plastic material of the knobs is rather hard and brittle, using a drill leads to bits breaking off.

So this is the tool I used instead - Don't drill, mill! :wink:

And this is how my SQ-1 looks now: :D

Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971
Weirdofromouterspace

Gear: MFOS SL MiniSynth Plus, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Kawai K1

Return to Synth Shootouts