Yamaha motif 6 vs mo8 vs alesis ion vs korg n5. Random

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Yamaha motif 6 vs mo8 vs alesis ion vs korg n5. Random

Postby clamking » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:24 am

Hi

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post and i'm hoping i'm posting in the right category. I'm pretty much kind of stuck on what to sell and what to keep. About 10 years ago my friend and I made a studio in his parents basement right after we both finished different music schools. I then bought a Motif 6 a Korg N5 and an Alesis Ion. We started off just making music all digital. At the time we were both working doing different things and we both just got busy. Needless to say I forgot about the synths. We both went separate ways and completely stopped music for about 10 years.
Last year at some point i decided to pick up music because i have some more free time so completely forgetting i bought those synths I went out and bought an Mo8.
I had been in contact with my friend the entire time but we both do not live at home. A week ago he calls me and says his parents are selling the house and told me about all my gear.

So now I'm not sure on what to keep and what to sell. I could use some extra cash and do not need all these synths, The mo8 has been good for the past several months and i figure just starting out again it would be all I need but am not 100 percent sure. The Motif line is pretty much Yamaha's most famous synth line i think so just wondering if i should sell the mo8 or the Motif 6 also which one would fetch more money.

Also if i can get some info about what the alesis ion and korg n5 are known for and maybe a selling price. Kind of asking for a lot but thank you
clamking

Re: Yamaha motif 6 vs mo8 vs alesis ion vs korg n5. Random

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:10 pm

The original Motif and the Mo8 are comparable. similar sound engines and polyphony, iirc. If you're going to throw a Korg against them, you should at least use something of the same generation. the Triton would be more appropriate.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Yamaha motif 6 vs mo8 vs alesis ion vs korg n5. Random

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:51 pm

The Motif 6 has sampling and aftertouch keys, in other aspects the MO8 is superior because it is based on the ES engine.

Current resale value in the USA of the Motif 6 would be in the $700 ballpark, the MO8 about $1000. The MO8 is worth more used because of the 88 keys.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Return to Synth Shootouts