OB-6/Prophet-6/Jupiter 6

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: OB-6/Prophet-6/Jupiter 6

Postby coyote14 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi dear Vintage Synth Explorer members,

I have made a deep front to front comparison between both keyboards. After a short explanation in french, you can find a front to front comparison by type of sound.

Watch on youtube.com

Enjoy! coments are welcome.
coyote14

Postby jxalex » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:43 pm

commodorejohn wrote:Hmm, that's a tough one. Having just gotten my P600 set up with gligli's mod, I'm well and truly in love with it - but it's hard to imagine parting with that glorious Juno chorus. (I'd say if anything, look at ditching the Alpha Juno 2 instead - but I've only had a tiny bit of experience with that thing, so I dunno.)

You can still apply that chorus unit to P600 Yourself (or make yourself, by getting these 4 chips (well, beware the chinese fakes though as they sell MN3007 too under the name of MN3009). With that Juno chorus pretty much everything sounds like... well, Juno-106 ;)
The schematic is also simple.
jxalex

Gear: enough

Postby jxalex » Sun May 14, 2017 1:44 pm

In a store I now tried the Prophet 6 and Oberheim 6 side by side.
I compared both of them by trying on them to get the same sound and how they differ, how close it can get, by
the brass sound and all onboard effects switched off.

With basic tones, sounding the same, but they seem to be somewhat different beasts since their programming is different. Now THAT was their only and biggest difference to me besides the price tag.

They both -- Prophet 6 and OB-6 sound crisp when just trying out the basic tones and if being skilled programmer on both then they both can sound the same.

Then I tried to program a brass sound on both which would sound the same on both.
About that Prophet 6 at the first moment it felt to me that I am ready to buy with eyes, but the messy programming experience on that Prophet 6 model made me to think again, becouse while it was quite effortless to get the same sound on my vintage Prophet P600 at home, and I got very close result on a OB-6 too, which was also okay, with that Prophet 6 I messed atleast 15 minutes around and did not got that closest result just becouse of its programming interface.
In my opinion in this case the closest match to old Prophet P600 would be the new OB-6, but only becouse to me it was simpler to program to get that particular desired sound what I have done on every synth I get hands on.

So, now I am satisfied, and... I will go back to my Roland MKS-80 and Prophet P600. ;-)
jxalex

Gear: enough

Postby Sir Ruff » Fri May 19, 2017 2:23 pm

I am curious how different the oscillators are in the P-6/OB-6. It strikes me that they are probably really both in terms of sound and tuning rigidity, but would like to hear direct experience.
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts