OB-6/Prophet-6/Jupiter 6

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

OB-6/Prophet-6/Jupiter 6

Postby Ensoniq5 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:44 pm

This is a 3 way shootout (hopefully that's allowed?). I'm considering picking up either the Oberheim/Dave Smith OB-6, the Dave Smith Prophet-6 or a Jupiter 6, all roughly the same $$. The OB-6 and P-6 seem fairly similar, though there are distinct differences, and both are modern analog synths as distinct from the vintage JP-6. The Roland is perhaps not the best offering from that organisation but it is vintage and it's, well, it's a Jupiter!! Or should I put sentimentality and misplaced loyalties aside and opt for either of the modern options? If so, which?

Discuss...
Ensoniq5

Re: OB-6/Prophet-6/Jupiter 6

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:05 pm

I haven't played either of the new Dave Smith offerings as of yet, but based on my time owning a JP6, I'd say that if the features it offers (61 keys, split mode, a separate performance LFO, bidirectional sync, envelope control of cross-mod depth, continuously-variable filter and envelope key-tracking) aren't as important to you as sonic character, you'd probably be better served with one of the new models. The JP6 is by no means a bad synthesizer, but it's not "a Jupiter" in the sense that it captures the same magic as the JP8; it's more workmanlike than magical. (In particular, as nice as the multimode filter is, it suffers from the same problem a lot of later Roland analogues do in that the resonance when cranked up doesn't seem to interact with the sound so much as just lay on top of it.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Postby Ensoniq5 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:51 am

Thanks for the reply commodorejohn, it is very helpful. The JP6 seems to polarise opinions more than most other synths out there, yours is perhaps the clearest description of the machine and its idiosyncrasies I've seen. My current setup includes an SQ80, JU6 and KingKORG with an 88-note Korg piano as a controller keyboard, so really I'm looking for a twin-VCO polysynth that will expand the range of 'sonic character' I have access to into the realm of true analogue. The shorter keyboards of the Dave Smith machines are not really a factor since 99% of the time I'm playing the 88 note, and I agree that they may have a greater sonic impact on my setup than the JP6 would.

I'll see if I can tee up an A/B comparison twixt the OB-6 and the Prophet, from what I've heard online I like the punchiness of the Prophet but have always lusted after the Oberheim sound.
Ensoniq5

Postby DesolationBlvd » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:36 pm

commodorejohn wrote:(In particular, as nice as the multimode filter is, it suffers from the same problem a lot of later Roland analogues do in that the resonance when cranked up doesn't seem to interact with the sound so much as just lay on top of it.)

That's because the JP-6's filter, along with IR3R05, is two state variable filters, in low-pass mode, in series.

...Is it okay if I hijack this thread? I'm about to have a similar question for Gear Purchase 2017.
The vaccine for the Access Virus.

Roland Jupiter-8 / Juno-60 / SH-101 / RS-09 / JP-8080
Moog Voyager RME
Korg MS-20 Kit / Volca Keys / Minilogue
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM
DesolationBlvd

Postby Ensoniq5 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:03 pm

DesolationBlvd wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:Is it okay if I hijack this thread? I'm about to have a similar question for Gear Purchase 2017.

Feel free :)
Ensoniq5

Postby madtheory » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:46 pm

IMO they're all top class synths, and I'd be surprised if any of them was so not to your taste that you'd hate it and sell it. JP-6 seems to be fairly reliable too. IMO the mod on the P6 is comparable in power to the JP-6. Each does some stuff the other one doesn't do. I could be wrong. But they're all lovely synths!
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby DesolationBlvd » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:35 am

Ensoniq5 wrote:
DesolationBlvd wrote:Is it okay if I hijack this thread? I'm about to have a similar question for Gear Purchase 2017.

Feel free :)

Thanks for giving me the go-ahead.

My setup is very heavy on Roland poly, and my OB-Xa repair project a while ago was ultimately a failure, leaving me with GAS for the Oberheim or Sequential sound. And luckily, DSI comes along with the Prophet-6 and OB-6 modules. Which of the two would better complement the Roland sound?

My choice of DSI VCO synth module then determines what mono I would also get. If I go with the Prophet, I'm getting the patch panel SEM. If I go with the OB, I'm getting the Korg ARP Odyssey module.
The vaccine for the Access Virus.

Roland Jupiter-8 / Juno-60 / SH-101 / RS-09 / JP-8080
Moog Voyager RME
Korg MS-20 Kit / Volca Keys / Minilogue
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM
DesolationBlvd

Postby ninja6485 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:02 am

One thing about the pro 6 and the ob6: they're both relatively new, and it's not clear what their value will do. You could end up eating some depreciation. The Jupiter 6 is more predictable, and you stand to possibly have an appreciating asset. Now ultimately, you get the one you want to play and own, but you can't overlook what's going to happen to the value of the synth after you buy it. It might be that the prophet or OB6 lose more in depreciation thanthe Jupiter would rack up in repairs. Or maybe the repairs would offset any appreciation? It's hard to say.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:41 am

ninja6485 wrote:but you can't overlook what's going to happen to the value of the synth after you buy it.

Yes you can.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Postby madtheory » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:07 am

commodorejohn wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:but you can't overlook what's going to happen to the value of the synth after you buy it.

Yes you can.

Agreed.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.

Postby ninja6485 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Well, let's say you're on the fence between two instruments. If you're considering the risks associated with buying one of these instruments, and one if them is depreciating and the other isn't, then it's less risky to buy the one that's not depreciating, since if you buy it and try it for a little bit and don't like it, you can change your mind without taking a loss. The other one might even be cheaper at that point. If you try them the other way around and the same thing happens, you would have to take a loss to try the other instrument, or just settle with the one you don't really like.

So you can buy either A or B, and choosing A means taking less of a risk than going with B. You're saying that that shouldn't be something to consider when torn between the two?

Now if it's not the case that you're not sure which one you want, in other words, you know if you get one, that that one is going to be the one you prefer; then that's your decision. You don't need this thread. I'm that case it wouldn't matter if the synth will hold it's value: if you're sure that's the synth you want and you plan to have it for the long term, and you're no longer deciding between two instruments.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50

Postby madtheory » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Mind games. Unnecessary. OP hasn't tried any of them yet.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby ninja6485 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:11 pm

Mind games my foot! Considering it's OP's money that's going toward one of these synths, we can let him decide whether or not it's unnecessary to consider whether one of these options is a riskier purchase than the other.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby madtheory » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Ya, decide by actually playing the synths instead of all this imaginary c**p.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby ninja6485 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:36 am

The last time I checked, money was real. Value is a real thing, and the value of synthesizers is constantly changing. This is a true fact about the world.

Now I'm sorry, but there's no way simply looking into how the value might change in reference to the synths you're thinking about purchasing could be bad. It's just information. How the OP uses the information is up to him.

I'm not even suggesting any course of action based on the information. I'm not suggesting how much importance he should place on what he learns either. These things are up to him, and he should buy whatever synth he wants for whatever reasons he wants.

He has a right to consider all of the information regaurding these synths that there is, and we have a right to talk about it. This is a thread for comparing three synths that are, at this time, of approximately the same value. Whether and to what extent this will change is a perfectly legitimate aspect of the comparison... As is discussing maintenance costs, and the prospect of shipping costs vs. Picking one up locally at a music store, etc. All of these things are appropriate, pertinent, and on topic.

You might not think this information is personally helpful, but it's not your money that's being invested, it's not your thread, and you're perspective is not the only one that is being considered right now. The best way to have a comparative discussion is to entertain a variety of perspectives on the topic. You and the others have given a lot of excellent advice on other aspects of the decision. This aspect was missing. Now, I've added it.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Next

Return to Synth Shootouts