OB-6/Prophet-6/Jupiter 6

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: OB-6/Prophet-6/Jupiter 6

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:26 am

Choosing a musical instrument by resale-value forecasting is like choosing a meal on the basis of how much you'll excrete after.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Postby ninja6485 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:02 pm

Talk about a weak analogy... So when did merely taking into consideration what's going to happen to the value of something your thinking about purchasing become buying a musical instrument by resale value forcasting? Kind of a gross distortion, don't you think?

And what if he likes all 3 equally, but it's starting to look like this is the last time the Jupiter 6 will be affordable for him, while the other two are getting cheaper (I don't have a crystal ball, this is hypothetical)? You don't think that information would be helpful to consider?

What if the OP wants to buy all 3 eventually. You don't think that information would help decide the order he should go about getting them?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby DesolationBlvd » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:06 am

After looking at OP's second post again, he already has a Juno-6 representing the Roland filter. Either DSI VCO poly would offer a voice more distinct from what he already has.

As for me, I'm now also considering the Prophet-600, if the Sequential sound is what I need more than the Oberheim sound. But, I'm out of room for keyboards, so I would sell the Juno-60 for it. Actually, last time I checked (which admittedly was a year or two back), the Juno-60 seems to go for about the same prices as the Prophet-600, so I might be able to do a trade and save me some time. Being a vintage instrument, I wouldn't be the one eating the depreciation costs.

But, then I lose the velocity/aftertouch sensitivity, using VCO2 as an LFO, and pulse width as a poly-mod destination.
The vaccine for the Access Virus.

Roland Jupiter-8 / Juno-60 / SH-101 / RS-09 / JP-8080
Moog Voyager RME
Korg MS-20 Kit / Volca Keys / Minilogue
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM
DesolationBlvd

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:58 am

Hmm, that's a tough one. Having just gotten my P600 set up with gligli's mod, I'm well and truly in love with it - but it's hard to imagine parting with that glorious Juno chorus. (I'd say if anything, look at ditching the Alpha Juno 2 instead - but I've only had a tiny bit of experience with that thing, so I dunno.)
Last edited by commodorejohn on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Postby madtheory » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:59 am

Is there really a big difference between the jp8 and the Juno 60? I would've thought the jupe could do everything the Juno does, albeit less immediately?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby DesolationBlvd » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:39 pm

commodorejohn wrote:Hmm, that's a tough one. Having just gotten my P600 set up with gligli's mod, I'm well and truly in love with it - but it's hard to imagine parting with that glorious Juno chorus. (I'd say if anything, look at ditching the Alpha Juno 2 instead - but I've only had a tiny bit of experience with that thing, so I dunno.)

I know I'm going to be selling / trading one of the Junos in 2017.

If I lose the 60, I can approximate it with either SH-101 through CE-300, or the MKS-30 that should be home by the end of this week. But, the former is monophonic, and the latter doesn't have the same plucky response the Juno-60 has.

If I lose the Alpha, I can always buy the MKS-50 later.

Then there's the raw sound of the Prophet-600. The 6 is voiced like SSM, while the 600 has the Curtis sound. On raw sound alone, I have a slight preference for the 6.

On the other hand, trading Juno-60 for Prophet-600 means still having the budget to get the OB-6 module, or being able to get both SEM and KARP. I would be having my cake and eating too (though having sacrificed my ice cream to have and eat said cake). Of course, this is all assuming it's still roughly a straight trade. I've put the Juno up for trade in the trade thread. If it's not an even trade, then I'm back to my original question of "would Prophet or OB better complement Roland?"

madtheory wrote:Is there really a big difference between the jp8 and the Juno 60? I would've thought the jupe could do everything the Juno does, albeit less immediately?

The Jupiter just feels looser and broader than the Juno. It's two separate VCOs, vs. a DCO spitting out a combined waveform. That, and Juno goes to self-oscillation.

I'm also planning on sending the Jupiter-8 out to have a few minor issues fixed.

Moog Voyager RME
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM
DesolationBlvd

Postby clegg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:08 pm

commodorejohn wrote:Choosing a musical instrument by resale-value forecasting is like choosing a meal on the basis of how much you'll excrete after.

Not really... In the last few years I've purchased and traded many synths, always vintage. I kept the ones I liked, and traded/sold the ones I didn't like. With vintage synths, it's a lot easier to trade or sell the synth for the same value (or more) than what you got it for, so there's more reassurance that if the synth doesn't fit your needs you can easily trade it for something you do want.

Unfortunately this isn't as easy to do when purchasing new synths.

It's not about making a profit. It's about having the oppurtunity of holding on to a synth for as long as you want, knowing that if you ever grow out of it, you'll never lose out.
clegg

Postby Walter Ego » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:46 am

Don't know where the OP is in relation to the rest of this thread at this point, but I can offer thoughts on the JP-6 vs. the Juno (I've never had or played a Prophet 600, though I hear it's a brassy and somewhat dark and dirty synth).

What I can say is that I had a JP-6 and I still pine after owning one again. To console myself somewhat, I acquired a Juno-60. It's a major downgrade. For anyone who knows the basics of subtractive synthesis, BOTH are incredibly intuitive and easy to program. The Jupiter is more complex, but it is still highly intuitive and not at all difficult to program. It's very exciting actually.

What the Juno has going for it, besides ease of use, is *that* sound, if that's what you're after. Perfect for 80's inspired minimalist synthpop bands that want that lush Juno feel, like Austra or Linnea Aspera or Automelodi. Easy to pick out the Junos, but of course they sound great. It's impossible to make it sound bad. But compared to the Jupe, it's quite limited: one fairly digital sounding DCO where the Jupe has two thundering and lively VCOs per voice. Simultaneous waveforms available on both, but again the Jupe is far more flexible, with up to five simultaneous waveforms available. It oozes power. The Jupe also has hpf and lpf available at the same time, which means it can be used as a bandpass filter (unless I'm mistaken about what a bp filter is). Juno has the famous chorus which gives it that unmistakable lushness, and the Jupe does not have any FX. The Jupe also sounds fairly 80s but it can do some serious brass and more defined trumpet and horn patches that the Juno can't hope to contend with, partially due to the fact that the Jupiter also has two EGs, not one like the Juno.

The Jupiter has keyboard splits, though, which can be used in two-patch performances instead of just whole keyboard patches. Juno is fun for jamming with a trigger-spitting drum machine so you can sync with the arpeggiator. However, the Jupiter has an arp trigger input as well, and that means you can run two simultaneous arps. Great for jamming with one arp for a bassline and one for a melodic riff with a different timbre or whatever you want. You have a much great performance potential with the Jupiter. It outclasses the Juno at pretty much every point. But it has a couple flimsy knobs and looks more plasticky. People usually are divided on the Jupiter 6 because the filter is more brassy like Sequential synths. I believe it uses a CEM filter chip instead of the more traditional tame and liquid Roland filters. But the Jupiter 6 also has a couple tricks up its sleeve that the 8 doesn't, not the least of which is basic MIDI I/O.

Hope I didn't bore you with info you already know. It should be clear by now that I prefer the Jupiter by a mile. But the Juno is certainly a classic and I like a lot of music that is made with it. And it's still fun and simple to use.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Postby ApolloBoy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:02 pm

Walter Ego wrote:I believe it uses a CEM filter chip instead of the more traditional tame and liquid Roland filters.

Actually the Jupiter-6 uses the same IR3109 filter chips as the Junos and Jupiter-8. It *does* use CEM3340s for VCOs though, they're the same chips found in the Rev. 3 Prophet-5, OB-Xa and Memorymoog, to name a few.
Had: DX7, AX-60, SR-16, Yamaha TQ5, 01/WFD, Juno-106, MG-1
Want: Minilogue, OB-6, Prophet 6, Sub 37
ApolloBoy

Gear: Korg ARP Odyssey
Korg Monotron
Korg Volca Beats
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-03
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha CS01
Yamaha DD-5

Postby Ensoniq5 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks for the responses everybody. There's a lot of opinions and a lot to take in, but it does help to narrow down the decision. I admit I hadn't really considered the appreciation/depreciation angle, I was going to respond by saying that the value to me is more about what the machine can do rather than what it can fetch on eBay but a good point was made regarding future trades. A JP6 is unlikely to drop in value any time soon (I don't gig, smoke, have little kids or pets in the studio etc.) so if it doesn't inspire me (unlikely) I should be able to flip it down the track for something else, such as an OB6 or P6 which may depreciate slightly in that time. So from that perspective the JP6 sounds like the go, however...

I have had a profound love affair going on with the JU6 for 30 years and it doesn't appear to be cooling off much, so I can't see myself parting with it. This would mean a somewhat Roland-heavy setup, and while there are worse things in the world my primary objective in spending the hard-earneds on a new piece of kit is to expand the sonic range I can access. While the JP6 would do this, I suspect the OB6 and P6 would do it further. New synths of all sorts seem to be holding their value pretty steadily, the King Korg is trading here in Australia for roughly the same $ as I paid for it new a few years back, so depreciation is, I think, not going to be a big factor in this decision.

I was leaning towards the P6 and SEM module which would be a nice combo, but I'm starting to think that the OB6 plus KARP desktop might be a cooler option. The SEM sounds amazing but there's much greater scope for sound design with the KARP (but that's a whole other shootout ;) ).

Thanks again for the input everybody, you guys are awesome!
Ensoniq5

Postby DesolationBlvd » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:02 am

I'm glad to see my mono GAS plans have fueled yours. :twisted:

I see you don't have anything Moog, though. Moog ladder + Oberheim state variable is an unbeatable combination. I would go KARP if I go OB-6, because I have a Voyager RME serving Moog duties. Oh wait, the KARP has the filter switch and the rev. 2 filter was the Moog flavored filter.

Just waiting on Korg's announcement for 11/1...

Moog Voyager RME
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM
DesolationBlvd

Postby Ensoniq5 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:06 am

DesolationBlvd wrote:I'm glad to see my mono GAS plans have fueled yours. :twisted:

Indeed! WIth the release of the desktop versions of the OB6 (and P6) I can grab one and the KARP for about the same price as the OB6 keyboard version, so it's kinda a no-brainer. I have enough keys already (4x61 + 1x88) with limited space so modules are looking very attractive.

You're right about the lack of Moog. I'm a polyphonic player so mono instruments have always had limited appeal, other than the MemoryMoog (expensive) or PolyMoog (rare) Moog have pretty much concentrated on mono (not a criticism, just an observation). The Mother-32 module is possibly a good alternative to the KARP at about the same price, but I just think the KARP sounds better (sacrilege, I know), and has the ladder filter option, as you say ;) . The Sub-37 or Sub Phatty are maybes but outside of the budget at the moment anyway. If the monophonic-ness of the KARP doesn't sh1t me too much I may be more interested in Moog, when the budget can once again be extended :)
Ensoniq5

Postby ian » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:54 pm

As to the mother moog 32, I was considering buying one as well in order to have a moog filter on hand but after some online video listening/ reading I discovered that the MM32's filter does not really get that classic dirty moog drive when pushed ( at least to my taste)

For me, a lot of the moog appeal is in the filter, I was thinking of maybe even getting one of the Moogerfooger Murf pedals (as a cheap way to go) but it seems to me ( and I do not claim to be an expert by any means) that if you are gonna truly go Moog you probably have to go fairly big.
Last edited by ian on Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ian

Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Postby ian » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:17 pm

As far as the 3 way shoot goes... I have a huge bias towards Dave Smith over Roland so my input on that portion won't be objective, but as far as on the OB6 vs. the P6 ; I would say that they are both extremely high quality, well designed synths, Both seem made for instant hands on enjoyment and are loaded with features. You can't go wrong with either one, It just comes down to the character of the sound ... Which Synth gets you more excited?

As was pointed out, the soft synth versions of all are good these days, so it makes for a less drastic choice.

(I have the Arturia Moog soft synth and it is actually pretty darn good, too, but I just can't get excited playing anything thru software right now... Just me, and sure that will fluxtuate with time)
ian

Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Postby DesolationBlvd » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:49 pm

Now that Korg has made their announcement, I might as well update. I bought the ODYSSEi app they announced to tide me over, and then I saw the Gearslutz thread about the full-size reissue rumors: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... -keys.html

So, my Oberheim budget is up in the air.

A factor that could reduce my budget: The KARP Odyssey full-size won't be cheap. The budget for the OB-6 will be gone, and I will only be able to get a new SEM.

A factor that could increase it: Between the 60 and the Alpha, I'm actually leaning towards the Alpha at the moment, and am less attached to the 60. Selling the Juno-60 would expand my budget and allow me one more space for a keyboard, which would allow me to get an OB-8 instead of the OB-6 module. But, then those two extra voices (and independent LFO modulation amounts for PWM and vibrato) come at a high price, no cross-mod or multi-mode filters.

Moog Voyager RME
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM
DesolationBlvd

PreviousNext

Return to Synth Shootouts