Which synth should i get

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Which synth should i get

Postby StevenRexx » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:15 pm

I'm fairly new to the world of synths. I really want to get a similar sound as Joy Division on tracks like The Eternal and Decades. I know they used a ARPOmni 2 and an ARP Quadra. But i cant any for sale. The omni2 may happen eventually. But was wondering if anyone knows synths that can get these sounds other than the lovely ARPS. Another sound is The Cures Disintegration album. Any tips on a synth that can attain siilar sounfs would be appreciated. I hope Korg will eventually reissue the Quadra like they did the Odessy
StevenRexx

Re: Which synth should i get

Postby Music Bird » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:08 am

Are you talking about the strings synth sound like Plainsong, or the "brass strings" like the trumpet-like chords in Decades? The ARP Quadra was more of a New Order synth, and AFAIK The Cure used a Solina. What is your budget? That string sound can be found on any analog or virtual analog synth, or even ROMplers. Which Cure tracks on the album?
Plus, a Quadra would set you back about $6,000-$7,000, which in my opinion, is pretty crazy. And the Omni2 isn't cheap. And older analog gear is problematic, especially stringers. What gear do you have already?
Keyboards/synths owned
Casio SK1/WK-7600
Yamaha PSR 19/PSR e443/MX49 Blue
iPad with Music Studio, Garage Band, FL Studio Mobile, and several VSTs, including iMini, iProphet, and iSEM.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Postby StevenRexx » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:04 am

Right now the only synth i have is an MS-20
i love the sound of the Omni 2 in Decades. But equallut the sound of it in Eternal. I can handle the cost of an Omni i just haven't seen one up yet thay wasn't broken (as i dont know how to properly repaor)
As for the cure songs i really enjoy most sounds so ueah Plainsong and closedown or even Last Dance. I guess I'm wondering if there may have been any other synths from that era that acheived similar sounds? I'm fairly new to the cure as well. So i havent had much reserach time on their gear.
But the ideal synth would achieve the beautiful strings or however the sound of Decades is. To the deep haunting sound.
StevenRexx

Postby madtheory » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:22 am

The Waldorf Streichfett is an excellent modern substitute for an old string synth. Gordon Reid describes it as "lush" and "eerie":
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/waldorf-streichfett

There's also this, if you want to use a computer:
https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products/vsm

If you have NI Reaktor, there are a few string synth models in there. One of which is a superbly accurate Eminent, complete with slowed down EH phaser :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby princefan3 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:08 pm

I would second the waldorf unit as me nearest thing available.

I saw an Arp omni 1 for spares or repair for real cheap and got it back to new again...it's a fantastic synth and I believe that the earliest albums were done on the 1 and not the 2...they have a very sad sound to them.
I had to have all the tants replaced and a new power unit installed to make it safe.

Good luck in your search as it could take a long time for one to come up and then there's the problems when they come.
princefan3

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:28 pm

princefan3 wrote: [...] I saw an Arp omni 1 for spares or repair for real cheap and got it back to new again [...]

Lucky you. Omnis are a pain in the a.rse to fix, and boy, do they need fixing.

princefan3 wrote:I [...] ...they have a very sad sound to them. [...]

Oh yes, very sad indeed -- mine would make me weep as soon as I turned it on. Because I hated it so much and had spent all my savings on one because I thought it would be as nice as an ARP/Solina String Ensemble...

princefan3 wrote: [...] ...it's a fantastic synth [...]

You must be talking about something else, I'm sure.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Return to Buyer's Guide