Korg Triton - worth it in 2019?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
hudkins

Korg Triton - worth it in 2019?

Post by hudkins » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:46 pm

Back in the day I'd go to the store and spend hours messing around with the Tritons. The really resonated with me but they were completely unaffordable. Lately they've been falling more into my price point and I'm very interested. I'm looking specifically at either a 61 key Triton Studio and maybe a Taktile. I know a lot less about the Taktile and I haven't done much research into it. Any opinions on it are welcome.

Since technologies improve over time in these workstations, I'm wondering if the USD $600-1100 price point i worth it or if there's a different workstation I might want to look at in that price point.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Korg Triton - worth it in 2019?

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:47 pm

The Triton Taktile is a MIDI controller keyboard that has 500 preset Triton sounds on board, but can't be edited. It's monotimbral (one sound at a time), so no Combis (layers, splits, etc.) There is also a Taktile which looks the same but lacks the sounds.

If you don't need the sampling, you might consider the Korg M50 which is one generation past the Triton series (based on the M3) and I see these regularly for $500 or less. You get a sequencer, touch screen, etc. but no aftertouch.

Also take a look at Korg's Kross ($750) and Krome ($1050) keyboards, these are the generation after the M3. No touchscreen, though.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Korg Triton - worth it in 2019?

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:05 am

heck, you can find M3s for less than a thousand... not fully decked out ones, but not many people bought the Radias cards