Muffwigglers opening a storefront

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Muffwigglers opening a storefront

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:18 pm

Saw this at Sonic State:
Muffwiggler Modular Synth Forum Now Has its Own Store

Today Muffwiggler announced their new webstore and physical shop front in Portland Oregon. The synth forum dedicated to all things modular (and cats...) has been the mainstay of any modular synth enthusiast since 2006? (i think..). Over the last few years the site and the community has grown considerably, putting strain on the finacial support of the forum.

The Muff Wiggler himself had this to say:

"Finances are always a concern, and many of you have expressed concern in the past that the donation system was not something we could always count on.

You also know that I absolutely loathe to take on banner ads or corporate sponsorship of any sort. This is very important to me. "By the people, for the people"

The news today is that we found a wonderful solution to our financial concerns (and independence!). One that allows this site to remain as it is and has always been, with the primary goal of supporting the health and growth of our modular scene.

I have partnered up with Cyrus Rex, and together we have created a company, Muffwiggler, LLC. We have invested a significant amount of cash and will be opening the MuffWiggler Store IMMEDIATELY."

The store that will be opening next month, will house fulltime staff to check, test, "carefully package and quickly ship your order", and an outstanding inventory of modules, synths and drum machines. The store is currently stocking gear from Makenoise, TipTop Audio, The Harvestman, Malekko Heavy Industry, 4MS, Modcan, ADDAC Systems, Innerclock Systems, Analogue Solutions, Medic Modules, HexInverter, ALM Busy Circuits, DinSync.info, Expert Sleepers, Division6, Qu-Bit, STG, Noise Engineering, Pittsburgh Modular, brownshoesonly, Trogotronic, WMD, Vermona, Kenton, Koma Electronics, Dave Smith Instruments, Ad Infinitum, I Dream Of Wires. They are also in talks to launch gear from many other companies in the coming months.

"Our mission is simple: We want to be the place you get your stuff from, and are proud to get your stuff from - and do it in a way the benefits the community and the larger scene in general. The vitality of the scene is essential for all of us to have a healthy and growing community, and we pledge to run the shop with the health of the scene as our focus. "
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Muffwigglers opening a storefront

Post by pflosi » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Yes, f**k ace! :headbang:

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:37 pm

wow, brilliant!

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Not sure if this is a good thing or not. More modular dealers carrying all the same lines means dilution of the customer base for all dealers. Although modular seems growing like crazy it's still a small market.

Time will tell.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:48 pm

Oregon = no sales tax 8-)

I see potential for Muffs, I mean he managed to build the biggest modular community - and judging from the reactions in the respective thread over at the forum (and it grew fast!), people are gonna use it.

Also: international shipping flat 20$ :headbang:

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Kick a*s.

Just wish I were gonna be in Portland any time soon...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:59 am

Seems to have been a long time since anybody mentioned the site over here, but does anyone know what's up with the MW forums? Since Saturday-ish, I just get an error page when I try to go there, and there's nothing on the rest of the site indicating what the deal might be.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:06 am

the store isnt there either

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:28 am

I also get an error trying to get to the fourms.

I thnk their store was closed a while ago. They started it when there were only 2 or 3 stores in the USA carrying modular gear, nowadays even GC does.

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:03 pm

here is what sduck posted on Reddit a few days ago :
What's happened is the site went down because the bill wasn't paid in time. While it was down, for something like 4 hours, dreamhost somehow mucked something up in the file system. When it didn't come back up, we had them do a restore, and that didn't fix it either. So now we've got some web techs working on it.
It is all about sharing...

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:41 pm

Ah, thanks.