First Synth: Korg MS-20 Mini vs Roland Boutique Synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

First Synth: Korg MS-20 Mini vs Roland Boutique Synth

Postby vkapoor » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 am

Hello

Interested in buying my first synth, but something in a small package.
Any thoughts on a Korg MS-20 mini vs one of the Roland Boutique Synths, preferably JU-06 or JP-08.

Not sure what to look for; looking for versatility of course and one that will teach me basics of synthesis and not be overwhelming as a beginner!

Thanks in advance.
vkapoor

Re: First Synth: Korg MS-20 Mini vs Roland Boutique Synth

Postby krzeppa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:12 pm

I know that it isn't on your list, but I always thought a Novation K-Station was a nice smaller synth to learn on. It has a very simple layout and tons of knobs and sliders in a small package. Many functions are also just a simple menu away. They are a steal at under $300 as well. It is put together in such a logical way that it makes sound creation quite simple. I think they sound really good too. I used one for years as a live synth instead of hauling my big Supernova II around, and it definitely held its own. Oh yean, and It has decent built in FX to boot. I would think it would be a better investment than to two you mentioned, but that is just me. It aslo has full sized keys, which I like too. I tend to stumble over the smaller keys myself.
I've only demoed the MS-20 Mini and the Roland Boutique synths at the music store, and I didn't really connect with any of them.....so perhaps somebody else would better equipped to answer for you.

Watch on youtube.com
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Where the Embers Fall

Postby Music Bird » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Remember, Korg MS-20 is monophonic, meaning you can only play one note at a time. Roland Boutique is polyphonic. What sounds are you after? Heavy bass? Synth reso leads? Oberheim or Jupiter style horns?
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, Harmony 61, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Postby Rick N Boogie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Between the two mentioned, I would suggest the JP08. Everything on the front panel to learn basic synthesis with, though the sliders are a tad small. The sound however, is huge.
Didn't care for the MS20 mini very much, but it too would be a great learning tool.
Bassist, synth junkie
Rick N Boogie

Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Postby ninja6485 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:20 am

+1 for the JP-08. You can do so much more with the addition of chords, pads, and other polyphonic synth sounds than you would be able to do starting out with a mono synth. The JP-08 really gives you a nice combination of versatility and quality in a small affordable package. It very well could be the only Synth you would ever need, unless you want to go the workstation / performance leviathan route later on. The MS-20 might be a better second synth, that adds to your arsenal.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:43 am

MS-20, definitely. It's a terrific learner synth with a lot of great features and sounds great into the bargain.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Return to Buyer's Guide