Buying my first synth, a VA roland synth - needs advice

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Pantchox

Buying my first synth, a VA roland synth - needs advice

Post by Pantchox » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi first post!
In like few hours i am going to buy Roland JP-8000 as my first synth.
The condition of it looks good and in good shape, but i am scared i might miss something because
i have no experience with any real synth! i know what are OSC and Filters but how do i know the synth
is working fine? any tips when reviewing before purchase what to do? what to check?

Going to get it in few hours! :)

Thanks!

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Buying my first synth, a VA roland synth - needs advice

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Use the site's search function to get more tips on what to look for when you're testing a Synth.

You need some familiarity with how a synth works, but basically you want to spend some time at each section of the synth, making sure the controls are changing the sound, where appropriate. Don't be afraid to ask the seller to demonstrate how the section of the synth is supposed to function if you absolutely have no clue. Ask for a demonstration that each part is working properly.

Otherwise, definitely play everything you know how to play on the synth: all keys, cutoff and resonance controlls should sculpt the sound, check the outputs, etc.

You can also get an idea of how the synth has been treated by inspecting its overall condition: if it looks like it's in really good shape, this can be an indication that the Synth is also functioning properly, especially when you have nothing else to go by, and you're new to synths. This is a sign of functionality, not proof of functionality.

As an inexperienced buyer, if you're not familiar with how the synth is supposed to work when it's at its best, there's going to be some risk there that something you didn't know to test was broken. This is usually not a huge concern, but something to keep in mind. To help field this issue, check the aesthetic condition of the synth, and feel out the seller to help determine how confident you should be about what you can't test. Is the seller nervous, and trying to fast talk you? Are they distracting you from paying attention to the synth? Are you getting a bad vibe from them? Are the other things around that they have in good condition?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Pantchox

Re: Buying my first synth, a VA roland synth - needs advice

Post by Pantchox » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:44 am

Hi thanks!
GREAT tips! i checked all the input/output and the keyboard that its functioning in a normal manner (hey its a 20 year old synth) the seller was very kind and helpful and i felt super comfortable.

Now all got left is to learn the beast :)