1u rack pad synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

1u rack pad synth

Postby 30h5 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:28 am

So, I am putting together a small rig and have a single rack space available and I wanted to fill it with a synth that I use play pads on that doesn't cost all too much. Immediately, I thought of the xv-5050 and wavestation sr. I would like to hear opinions on the merits of these or possible other single space units. I would predominately be looking to do atmospherics, sweeping sound effect filler stuff, and pads In a live setting, probably unsequenced. Thanks!

Edit. I'll also mention I would be controlling this with a Novation Remote Sl 25 which has a touchpad (for potential vectoring)
30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Re: 1u rack pad synth

Postby Virgule » Tue May 16, 2017 3:07 am

The Ensoniq MR Rack can make great pads. You could also look into the Alesis S4 or for a bit more $$, the E-mu Morpheus.
Virgule

Postby crystalmsc » Tue May 16, 2017 5:53 am

30h5 wrote:atmospherics, sweeping sound effect filler stuff, and pads In a live setting, probably unsequenced

One of my favorite for that is Korg TR Rack (own a Trinity Pro), especially in the combi mode. You can use the ribbon as a replacement from the Trinity Keyboard as well. Listen to the demos here: https://youtu.be/8reLLV_-wXU

But E-mu Morpheus is cool as well if you are looking for more filter types and raw early digital rompler sound, the waveforms are a bit more electronic than the Ultra Proteus. Other alternatives are the Audity and XL-1 if you are into a more modern E-mu's sound.

I'm a TG series fan, the TG500 is also a good choice with a more new age vibe. Not as modern sounding as the above, but more analog sounding to me. Motif Rack could also be an alternative, especially if you are into those rare PLG boards.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby belltones » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Oberheim Matrix 1000
belltones

Gear: Weller soldering iron, Hitachi oscilloscope, little hooked tool I got on Amazon for $1

Postby 30h5 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:49 pm

I'd love to get one, but I am not willing to pay what they seem to be going for at the moment. I still look though and this would have been my first choice. Since posting this, I decided to get the IWavestation for my iPad and that seems like it would cover the ground I was originally looking for. I have more or less decided that if I was to get a 1 unit rack, I would probably land on a XV-5050.
30h5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: SH-2, JV-880, D-110, M-1000, CS-15, FR-777, FR-XS, ESQ-1

Return to Buyer's Guide