Korg Wavestation EX vs. DX7

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Korg Wavestation EX vs. DX7

Postby Zmeinogorsk » Fri May 19, 2017 8:15 pm

So, I have a chance to pick up one of these synths locally. Both are approximately the same price (within about $50 of each other). I've listened to a ton of sound samples of the EX and DX, and still can't decide which I like more.

I'm leaning towards the EX, but the thing is I don't really need another "pad machine" - all the Youtube EX videos are very much geared towards pad sounds. What I'm looking for: DX-ish bass sounds, interesting percussion bits and just general weird/metallic sounds.
Zmeinogorsk

Re: Korg Wavestation EX vs. DX7

Postby ninja6485 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:32 am

Wavestation SRs are really cheap if you wanted to get the best of both worlds... but then there are always those rack editions that feature oodles of DX7s in a tiny rack for dirt cheap. But they're both classic digital synths! Both synths will do what you want, but of course wierd metallic percussion and bass sounds basically describe the FM sweet spot. The wavestation is good for way more than pads though! Which Synth has a nicer keyboard and interface? And are they both in great condition?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby crystalmsc » Sat May 20, 2017 3:53 am

Zmeinogorsk wrote:What I'm looking for: DX-ish bass sounds, interesting percussion bits and just general weird/metallic sounds.

Maybe you can start with the DX7 for that and for such a price you can get the Wavestation later if still needed. It's no ordinary pad machine, especially through a decent fx processor. Getting the Rack version is also a great idea if you didn't need the keyboard, but both has some of the best keys and build quality.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby jxalex » Sat May 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Zmeinogorsk wrote:So, I have a chance to pick up one of these synths locally. Both are approximately the same price (within about $50 of each other). I've listened to a ton of sound samples of the EX and DX, and still can't decide which I like more.

$50 for a keyboard? Well I would consider both in this case. Thats the only price when they can be with same price gap, otherwise they are overpriced if both are $270 and $320 .
jxalex

Gear: enough

Postby minime123 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:54 pm

you basically answered your own question. you want a DX. the wavestation's a great synth but for what you're looking for, the DX should make you a lot happier. go get it!
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com
minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Zmeinogorsk » Wed May 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! Still mulling over this one as the DX seller has disappeared for the moment.
Zmeinogorsk

Return to Buyer's Guide