Looking for Hardware Midi Sequencer, maybe Yamaha QY

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
kingink

Looking for Hardware Midi Sequencer, maybe Yamaha QY

Post by kingink » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:46 pm

this is a weird question as i dont know a lot of people that do this with Boss DR 202s ...I've been sequencing synths for a long while with the bass track on the Boss DR 202. It's frankly amazing how much room they have internally. My biggest issue is I need more memory, I write a lot of songs and tour a lot with this set up.

On the Boss DR 202 you can step sequence every bass note hitting on beats between 1 to 95 between each whole note in a measure. I can select the note and the octave. I just want something that does this with storage that doesnt require me to save all of my midi data to a computer when i run out of room on a boss dr 202. I also dont want to take several of these machines on the road.

I've look at the Yamaha QY 700 but cant figure out if it is what im looking for. The music i write is in the whole dark punk and synth pop realm of things

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Looking for Hardware Midi Sequencer, maybe Yamaha QY

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:21 pm

Used Alesis MMT 8, Roland MC50 or MC500 are probably what you're looking for.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

kingink

Post by kingink » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:21 pm

I owned an mc 500 a long while back and didnt recall it having the ability to step sequence as meticulously.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:27 am

What you described for the DR202 is 24ppq (pulse per quarter note) resolution. That is the resolution of MIDI clock.

The QY machines share a basic sequencer architecture with other Yamaha machines like RM1x, RS7000 and Motif. In those machines resolution is much higher than you 202...QY100 for example is 480ppq, that's 1920 steps per whole note! The interface of the QYs is the weak point, small display, tiny buttons...yuck. I suppose if you can deal with the 202 for sequencing you might not mind the QY100. Expect to pay around $300 for one.

They QY100 lacks true step sequencing, there is grid-based step entry but editing throws you into the event list...what Roland called "microscope editing"...where you edit individual MIDI msgs, setting the start and end times of notes, velocities, etc. and editing any CCs.

You might be better off getting an RM1x than a QY100, similar sequencer but better interface and usually is cheaper.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:47 am

QY700, being the biggest of them all, has nice big, backlit screen, and is actually quite easy to use. However it isn't suited well for step-editing or recording - it's more like Cubase-in-a-box (the Atari one ;-) )
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm a big fan of the QX-3. Features, work flow, UI, etc is all great. Maybe the QY is great too, no idea. The MC-500 can be extremely meticulous, but not in edit mode. It has a special mode dedicated to precise editing called microscope mode. You can download the manual and check out the features. Just keep in mind, if you get the MK I, it loads from a disk. My disk capped out and now it's a paper weight until I get a new one. They do offer free images, but using them seems to be a bit challenging, and I've been able to get sound diver running for my fizmo. Probably just compatability issues across the board. But any way, be aware that the disk is annoying. It also loads each part of the sequencer from the disk, which takes a little time.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...