Looking for synth recommendations

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
KidFromBastion

Looking for synth recommendations

Post by KidFromBastion » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Hello everyone ;)

I am looking for recommendations for a synthesizer for myself.
Some of the specs/features I would like to have are:
- full sized keyboard, at least 49 keys
- polyphony, at least 10 voices
- I would prefer analog, but digital is also fine
- price up to $1000
- I am looking for more aggressive sounds, for electronic rock and industrial music
- whether its modern or vintage doesn't matter. Brand is not important either, I only care about play ability range of sounds I can play

I asked on other forums and general recommendations I had were:
Studiologic Sledge 2
Behringer Deepmind 12
Waldorf Blofeld
Yamaha An1X

Can You add anything more to that list or help me with choosing one of those ? :)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Looking for synth recommendations

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:37 pm

The Behringer is the only analog synthesizer currently in production that meets your 10 voice requirement and it hits the very top of your budget.

There are dozens of digital synthesizers (mostly used) that meet your criteria but the Yamaha AN1x is not one of them. It is only 8 voice polyphonic.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

zeit

Post by zeit » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:07 pm

A used Waldorf Microwave XT (desktop) + MIDI controller could be possible as they can be had for under a $1,000 sometimes but you might have to be patience, something I'm not. lol The 10 voices requirment make it tough for this newbie so not sure what else. The DSI Prophets under $1,000 used are not 10 voices but those are nice too.

From recent experience, go for the top of your budget if you can, you'll be happier. Realize vintage synths might need maintenance, that always makes me feel uncomfortable when buying something at the top of my budget.

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:29 pm

meatballfulton wrote:... but the Yamaha AN1x is not one of them. It is only 8 voice polyphonic.
I have to correct you here, AN1x is 10 note polyphonic.

Tidda

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:59 pm

Then again, the AN1x fails on the full size keyboard.

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Tidda wrote:Then again, the AN1x fails on the full size keyboard.
No, it does not. It has 61 semi-weighted full-size keys.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:45 pm

1. I'm going to suggest the JP8000.. even though it's 8 note poly... (of prodigy fame)

Your 10 note poly requirement is the biggest limiter..soo many synths out there are 8 note poly. I'm not sure if you really NEED 10 or just wanted to have all 10 fingers covered. once you get past 8 notes I'd argue it's tough to even tell easily if the 9th and 10th notes are playing anymore.. unless you're wanting to do multi tibral but really if you're getting into that many notes you're moving away from a device that needs a nice interface because you can't tweak the parameters of more than one instrument at a time with all those lovely sliders / knobs.

2. Also the Alesis Ion (pricy option, but glorious knobs) 8 note poly, I've seen go for $700

3. or the Mircon (much cheaper, same just less knobs, but still a decent number just more for performance than patch creation).. 8 note poly and sell for $250ish

Good luck!
Caleb

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:16 pm

ItsMeOnly wrote:
No, it does not. It has 61 semi-weighted full-size keys.
No it's not. Measure the keyboard if you don't believe me.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Oh for pete's sake, the AN1x has "almost full sized" keys then. It's not like there is some international law on how big a synth key should be. Lots of synths have key sizes that are not identical to a piano (is there even a standard with pianos?) but are far from minikeys.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:36 am

Sure, I admit it's nitpicking, and most people would not notice or not bother. Some people even prefer it as they have a greater reach and can play faster.
Personally I think it is one of the few 'cons' of the AN1x.
Although it's only one white key width less on 5 octaves C-C compared to my standard (Yamaha P-90, Hammond SK-1, both 848 mm for 5 octaves C-C), the AN1x at 825 mm (97.3%) is just enough to mess things up, muscle memory wise.
My old Korg DS-8 is 844 mm (99.5%) and that is ok, I can't notice the difference.

It was probably a cost saving thing on Yamaha's part, but I wish they wouldn't do that.
I think I might prefer mini-keys over 97.3% size keys. In the case of mini-keys you instantly know/see it's not full size.

Tidda

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:23 pm

Good God in Heaven. Are you serious right now? How are they not full size keys? Are they one millimeter narrower than the keys on your piano? Who can possibly notice such a difference? If it is indeed "just enough to mess with muscle memory" as you say, then just practice with this one for thirty minutes to get used to the difference.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Tidda

Post by Tidda » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:41 am

Kenneth wrote:
Good God in Heaven. Are you serious right now?
Yes, quite serious.
Kenneth wrote:How are they not full size keys?
Well, they're a little bit smaller. You won't notice it on first sight.
Kenneth wrote:Are they one millimeter narrower than the keys on your piano?
Roughly yes. It's not the difference in a single key, it adds up. If you play an octave, eight keys it's 8 mm, it gets more noticeable.
Kenneth wrote:Who can possibly notice such a difference?
I didn't notice for years. It was only when I was playing multiple keyboards at the same time that I noticed something was going awry.
Kenneth wrote:If it is indeed "just enough to mess with muscle memory" as you say, then just practice with this one for thirty minutes to get used to the difference.
Yes, that works perfectly fine when playing one synth at a time. The AN1x is an excellent synth, easily in the top 10 of best virtual analogs after 20 years since its release. The keyboard in itself is also fine. Very responsive, a pleasure to play. It's only that little issue of the keyboard width that annoys me when playing it in combination with 2 or more keyboards.

Tidda

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:26 am

KidFromBastion wrote:Hello everyone ;)

I am looking for recommendations for a synthesizer for myself.
Some of the specs/features I would like to have are:
- full sized keyboard, at least 49 keys
- polyphony, at least 10 voices
- I would prefer analog, but digital is also fine
- price up to $1000
- I am looking for more aggressive sounds, for electronic rock and industrial music
- whether its modern or vintage doesn't matter. Brand is not important either, I only care about play ability range of sounds I can play
For the genres you are looking for, you could pick up a used Virus B or C. They would fit quite well for industrial music. I also use a Supernova II for industrial, but it may be more expensive than your budget now. I haven't checked prices in a long time. I also like the Alesis Ion. I think with it you would get one of the best Analog Modelling synths I've ever had chance to play, but it is only 8 voices.

Although it is only 8 voices, I really like the new Roland System-8. I don't know if you could get one of them used for the top of your budget, but they are really fantastic. I have played one several times and was quite impressed.

I saw someone suggest a Microwave XT. I currently have one and love it to death. However, I'm not sure if it would best the pick as your only synth right now. I think some of the ones I listed earlier may be a little more well rounded. They do offer a very unique sound though that I couldn't live without. They also seem to be going for more than your budget anyway. Especially the Keyboard version.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:00 am

yeah at this point the Supernova II costs about the same as a Virus C.

Averagebear6

Post by Averagebear6 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Greetings!

I love Yamaha MoX6 for piano and string sounds. I've been researching for something more in the synth realm - Moog/DSI and other sounds, which has led to the Roland System 8 topping my list. Other thoughts are Behringer Model D, Minilogue, King Korg, Deep Mind, etc

Let me STRESS that I do very little editing and customizing patches. Had a Blofeld, didn't like it al all. The DSI and Nord stuff is awesome, but pricey. Seems the System 8 offers ease of use, immediacy and fun, variety of sounds and synths counting the plug-outs.

Pros:
Plug-Outs + system 8 itself.
Ease of use
Tactile

Cons:
8 Polyphony
Price

Thanks for any thoughts! :D