Any advice please.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Any advice please.

Postby jensca7 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi, I'd be grateful for any advice for a second keyboard for live gigging. I need something good for Genesis-type sounds/general 'vintage' sounds. It would be great to have something that I could use for more modern synthesis sounds too...I have a basic grasp of programming but ideally would like to keep that to a minimum. I have a Roland xp-30 so was considering just buying the synth expansion card but to be honest wasn't overwhelmed by the demos I checked out. I've been borrowing a korg N364 and again not really convinced. I guess the priorities are: Good quality sounding pre-sets, ease of use, ability to create and save sounds and some real-time control. (Am I being greedy?)

Apologies for doing this I imagine you're all pretty sick of people like me, but like I said I'd really appreciate any help!
Thanks
jensca7

Re: Any advice please.

Postby Ashe37 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:13 am

my first response is Alesis Ion. Or you sould slave a micron or MiniAK to your XP30.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Any advice please.

Postby krzeppa » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:55 am

I think the Alesis Ion/Microns are the best sounding VAs I've ever owned. They definitely sound closer to analog than anything else I've owned (besides my actual analog gear ;) ).
The Ion did have some problems with main outputs volume being kind of low if I remember correctly. Correct me if I'm wrong please. Also, the Micron can be time consuming to program; but the payoff is huge. I didn't have this problem with the Micron, but I know that some other people I know complained of the volume knob being very noisy/scratchy as time went on. I don't know if this is a problem with them or just bad luck.
All said though, for the music you are trying to create this is your best option imo. I also think the prices are usually cheap...so you are really getting a lot of synth for not a lot of $$$.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Band: Where the Embers Fall

Return to Buyer's Guide