Upgrade my Mopho or Buy a cheap prophet 08?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
KayaTheHusky15

Upgrade my Mopho or Buy a cheap prophet 08?

Post by KayaTheHusky15 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:21 am

I'm ready to upgrade my DSI Mopho.. Originally I was looking at buying a used tetra, but they are pretty expensive still. Then I saw a local prophet 08 for sale for 1,000.. that seems like a good deal, but I am just starting to look into my other options. I figured making an account on these forums and asking wouldn't be a bad place to get some leads. I am open to any opinions, thank you.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Upgrade my Mopho or Buy a cheap prophet 08?

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:29 am

keep in mind the prophet 08 doesn't have the sub oscs...

KayaTheHusky15

Post by KayaTheHusky15 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:18 am

Ashe37 wrote:keep in mind the prophet 08 doesn't have the sub oscs...
I know, which is unfortunate because they really are a simple way to spice up some sounds. It is a very strong piece of equipment regardless, and if I can get the full keyboard version for $1,000, that seems like a good deal. I was asking myself, if I get the prophet 8, how much would I even use the Mopho..

Also, I already own a Casio PX-350M.

I am open to all suggestions though... Originally I just wanted to upgrade my mopho with a tetra because I yearned to play more than 1 voice at a time on it.. but I found the Prophet 08 for cheap that I have mentioned and that has me wondering what I should do. I only play for fun with my house mate and friends. I am by no means very skilled or anything, but I have a great time playing, and I am decently knowledgeable about how synths work. I have much more fun messing around on my Mopho than my Casio px-350M

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:44 am

what do used mopho x4s run?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:00 pm

What you really want then, is a Mopho x4. But you'd have to wait for a used one would you? It's a very very cool synth.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:59 pm

Unless you really need the subs, the Prophet 08 is the way to go. More voices, for one thing. More knobs (easier tweaking).

BTW the new Prophet Rev2 is out now at $1500 for the 8-voice keyboard...prices on Prophet 08's are falling rapidly, both used and remaining new stock at dealers. The Rev2 does have the subs from the Mopho, plus the FX processing and poly-sequencer from the Prophet 6 but is patch compatible with the older machines.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

KayaTheHusky15

Post by KayaTheHusky15 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks for the quick response guys! You are already helping.

I was looking at the mopho x4... they are cheaper than tetras it seems, which is odd to me.

I've looked at the rev2 prophet 8 and noticed it was the newer, upgraded version... I think $1,000 is my spending limit. Originally it wasn't going to even be that high, until I saw the used prophet 08 for that price. It seems like used tetras were around 6-700 themselves.. and it seems like the mopho x4 is around 5-700 also. If I would've gotten a mopho x4 to start, that would've been perfect...

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:35 pm

The Mopho x4 also has front panel accessibility that the Tetra doesnt.

KayaTheHusky15

Post by KayaTheHusky15 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:48 am

The Mopho x4 is basically a mopho with 4 voices and a new sound bank, correct? It seems used ones run from 650-800 or so from a quick google search.. and at that price, I think that I would rather spend 200 more and buy the prophet 08 locally vs online from someone without getting to see it before purchase. Would that be a hasty decision? Or is that rational thinking? Or kinda both? Haha.

Edit: I am even starting to consider holding off on a synth for now, and saving up for a REV2... I know how much I love the sub oscs on my Mopho now, and feedback is cool too.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:02 am

yes, the x4 has the sub and the feedback. and you can chain your existing mopho off it.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:49 am

Ashe37 wrote:...and you can chain your existing mopho off it.
That's really cool. A 5 bi-timbral voice Mopho. I think you can polychain the Mopho with the Prophet as well though?

Just read the Sound On Sound review of the Mopho x4. One criticism was that the controls are oddly laid out. It's funny, I didn't really notice that when I borrowed it from work. I just thought it was a lot better than the Little Phatty we have. Found my way around it just fine. I think though, I liked the sound so much that I was more forgiving.

KayaTheHusky15

Post by KayaTheHusky15 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:50 am

In an Ideal world I would've just started with the Mopho X4..

I'm realizing that I could add an upgrade to my Mopho, or buy a prophet 08, but neither would be near as complete of a piece as the REV2, which is fully loaded with everything I want.

I have decided to save up for a new REV2, and I'll sell my Mopho probably whenever I buy the REV2.

Mopho is a solid synth, I love it and am glad it was my first one, but darn, monophonics can only please me so much I suppose...

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:44 pm

I was in the same situation contemplating the Prophet 08 myself. I have a Mopho SE which has keys and tons of knobs though. I decided to poly chain a tetra to it because I needed the sub oscs. That was the main the reason I bought it. If you need the sub oscs, I would definitely get the Mopho X4 and poly chain. Otherwise, I would get the Prophet 08 for some of the reasons mentioned above.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:34 pm

KayaTheHusky15 wrote:In an Ideal world I would've just started with the Mopho X4..

I'm realizing that I could add an upgrade to my Mopho, or buy a prophet 08, but neither would be near as complete of a piece as the REV2, which is fully loaded with everything I want.

I have decided to save up for a new REV2, and I'll sell my Mopho probably whenever I buy the REV2.
Wise man. I nearly bought a Prophet 08 when it first came out, but I just felt it didn't have enough features I wanted. When the Rev2 came out, I heard the demos, read up a lot about it, and that was it - I bought one. I am a very happy man. Looking at what the Rev2 has over the original 08, I'd miss the extras. For example, the sub-oscs really do make a difference when filling out sounds; the polyphonic sequencer is great for honing patches, or jamming along to in multitimbral/key-split mode.
Mopho is a solid synth, I love it and am glad it was my first one, but darn, monophonics can only please me so much I suppose...
Wait until you try a Korg MS20 or an Odyssey... :D

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:38 am

clubbedtodeath wrote: Wait until you try a Korg MS20 or an Odyssey... :D
I know i may get lynched for saying this.... but BOTH of those synths are WEAK. 8-)