Newbie looking for a synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Robpm9995

Newbie looking for a synth

Post by Robpm9995 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:58 am

I'm looking to buy a synth, however I am new to this. I am experienced with music though, so I don't want the cheapest toy I can find.

I'm looking to spend under $1000. I'm looking for something to suit the amazing synths of the 80s, but I'm trying to sta9y away from actual vintage synths due to reliability (I intend on playing it live). I'm a huge fan of Prince and the huge Oberheim sounds on the Purple Rain album, however I don't really have Oberheim money (I especially like the sounds from the DSI OB6).

I only require a few things. The synth must have that 80s sound, especially the really big, lush sounds, as well as some lead sounds. Also, it must be able to store presets since I plan on plaging it live. I don't discriminate between keyboards and racks, either will do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Newbie looking for a synth

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:20 am

Deepmind 6 or 12?

Also, a lot of the deep, luch pads are... the delays and reverbs you use on top of the synth.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:11 am

I think you'll get the most flexibility, and the most bang for your buck, with a VA ("virtual analog") synth (digital synths that emulate the sound of those analogs that ruled the '80s). A lot of options. Many people swear by the Nord Leads (several versions: you probably wouldn't need the latest and greatest with all the bells and whistles), but for pure analog emulation, I think the King Korg is a better bet. Don't let the silly name fool you: it's a powerful VA and would be ideal for playing live.

If you want real analog, you can find great deals now on the original Dave Smith Prophet '08 (they've just released a "Rev 2," with a few extra features). The Prophet '08 tends to be a polarizing synth, so you'd want to try it out if you got serious about it, but to my ears, it definitely has a very Oberheimish tone (more than a Prophetish tone, I think)...

Bajas

Post by Bajas » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:22 pm

same story!! thanks for sharing!
“I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.” - Mark Twain //
sing like no one's hearing and study like you don't use this service