Recommendations for my studio

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Recommendations for my studio

Postby autechre » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:11 am

I'm pretty new to synths and drum machines. I've only been interested for about a year but have collected a few. I have some money to spend and would like a new synth. I can spend up to about $1000. The music I make is sort of psychedelic pop similar to Tame Impala, but more electronic.

My collection right now is:

Roland Juno-60
Oberheim Matrix-6
Roland CR-8000
Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Sequencers: JSQ-60 and MSQ-700

I would like a monosynth to do basslines with, preferably vintage, that would fit with my drum machines and synths. Been thinking about a SH-101 but it seems to be too similar to the Juno, and I already have enough sequencers to use. Or would you use the money to buy good effects for the synths? Like an Eventide or something? Right now I use DAW effects.
autechre

Gear: Sequential Circuits Pro One, Oberheim Matrix 6, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Roland CR-8000, Sequential Circuits Drumtraks, Roland MSQ-700.

Re: Recommendations for my studio

Postby pflosi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:23 pm

A monosynth would fit well, indeed. Personally, I love the JU60 / SH101 combo - they are kind of the same synth "family", with the typical Roland sound, but the 101 is much more than a mono Juno. Apart from that, I also love the older SH monos (I have a SH2 myself), which is another variation on the sound (more vintage sounding than the 101, 202 and Juno series). As far as the 101 sequencer goes, it's so much fun that it cannot hurt to have it. I love it and use it all the time.

Effects are another good option, but I'd definitely fill the monosynth gap in your setup first.

Hope that helps a bit, cheers! :drinks:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby AK79 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Korg MS20, but prices are problably beyond the budget right now. but it would fit in and it can do earthshaking bass.

The SH101 uses a CEM3340 VCO as opposed to the Junos DCOs and sounds more "analog" to my ears.

If it has to be Roland I would recommend the SH09 which is always overlooked in favour of the 101 for no good reason.

br
Arne
AK79

Gear: RolandSH09, RolandSH2, Korg PS6, Korg700S, SolinaStringEnsemble, MFOS SoundLabUltimate, YamahaDX7, YamahaCS01,SielOpera6, Korg Mono/Poly,OberheimOB8

Postby thefonz003 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:47 pm

autechre wrote:I'm pretty new to synths and drum machines. I've only been interested for about a year but have collected a few. I have some money to spend and would like a new synth. I can spend up to about $1000. The music I make is sort of psychedelic pop similar to Tame Impala, but more electronic.

My collection right now is:

Roland Juno-60
Oberheim Matrix-6
Roland CR-8000
Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Sequencers: JSQ-60 and MSQ-700

I would like a monosynth to do basslines with, preferably vintage, that would fit with my drum machines and synths. Been thinking about a SH-101 but it seems to be too similar to the Juno, and I already have enough sequencers to use. Or would you use the money to buy good effects for the synths? Like an Eventide or something? Right now I use DAW effects.

I have your John Peel Sessions on CD. Not bad. Ain't no way you're new to synths though.
thefonz003

Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Return to Buyer's Guide