Korg Volca BASS VS KEYS

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Korg Volca BASS VS KEYS

Postby Roboscott » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Hey. Just a simple question. (Hopefully lol)
I own a Korg volca keys and I was wondering if the volca bass is different enough from the keys to be worth the purchase. Ive watched a bunch of videos of the bass and I still really can't tell. I know it is 3 oscillator monophonic which is what I want but I don't want to buy it if it sounds just like the keys filter wise.
I'm trying to go the cheap route and I really like the volca stuff. I have the kick as well. Every time I fire up the keys I get inspired. More so than the Roland aria system 1 I also own.
Thanks
Roboscott

Re: Korg Volca BASS VS KEYS

Postby Ashe37 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:10 pm

I have and enjoy both. Yes they have the same filter but don't let that stop you.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:43 pm

Same filter but they do not really sound the same.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Jabberwalky » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:18 am

Keys:
Motion sequencing
3 note paraphonic
Faster LFO
Flux recording and tempo divisions
Sustain level

Bass:
better overall bass tone (rounder I guess)
Bigger knobs for quick changes
3 vcos can be stacked or tracked seperatly
LFO sync
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Postby Walter Ego » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:46 pm

They are different enough to get both and keep you busy. I have one of each but I keep my eyes peeled for either one popping up cheap because I like them both a lot.

You already have the Keys, so I won't bore you with a description.

I also really like the Bass for different reasons. It has three modes for its three oscillators, which are also tied to sequencer functions. Three osc together means you get one sequencer track (sequencer is step or live) and the output of all three oscillators is mixed together. 2+1 mode means two oscillators are mixed and one is independent; you get two sequencer tracks (all under the same filter, though). 1+1+1 mode means that you can control each oscillator independently; you get three sequencer tracks. Things get interesting when you use the Active Step feature of the sequencer to toggle between simultaneous sequences and create tracks that don't match up with each other--polyrhythms are possible. There's a range of 6 octaves on the oscillators, so you don't need to treat it as merely a bass monosynth. You do not have a unison control but you can tune each oscillator independently. Some light detuning adds plenty of flavor.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Return to Buyer's Guide