Which mono synth with simple sequencer

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Roboscott

Which mono synth with simple sequencer

Post by Roboscott » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:32 pm

I really want to buy a new mono synthesizer with a simple sequencer and Hands-On controls for a decent price.
I will mostly be using this for bass lines.
I do not have any stores close to me that I can try them
out.
I had a Moog mother 32 last year but returned it because I needed money. I really liked the sound and might just get one of those again but I feel like I maybe could do better.
The Moog Minotaur looks interesting but it seems like a pain because it has no keyboard and I have no computer
I have also been looking at the microbrute and monologue because they are affordable.
right now I own the Roland system 1 also Korg volca keys Korg volca kick.
Thanks!

splash81

Re: Which mono synth with simple sequencer

Post by splash81 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:53 am

I would suggest the Microbrute! It has an onboard sequencer (easy and fun to use), plus plenty of knobs to adjust every available parameter. Sounds good, and cheap, too! I would look for a used one, should be able to get one for about $200...

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:20 am

There's also its bigger brother, the MiniBrute. It has about twice the knobs of the Micro - there's a knob or slider for everything - and a full-sized keyboard. It will happily do bass, especially tied up to a Beatstep or similar, and will quickly get nasty if you push the filter with lots of resonance and distortion.

This Sound On Sound article does a pretty in-depth comparison between the Micro and Mini:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/arturia-microbrute

Personally, if your budget can stretch to it, I'd go for the MiniBrute if you like the Arturia sound. That said, I don't think the MicroBrute would be a bad choice either.

Cheers

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Minitaur has no sequencer.

Neither does the miniBrute out of the box, although there is a way to load the microBrute firmware to replace the mini's arpeggiator for the micro's sequencer.

Other analog monos with step sequencers to consider in the $500 or less range:

Novation Bass Station II
Roland SE-02
Korg Monologue
Pioneer DJ Toraiz AS-1 (no keyboard)
Korg Volca Bass
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:52 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Minitaur has no sequencer.

Neither does the miniBrute out of the box, although there is a way to load the microBrute firmware to replace the mini's arpeggiator for the micro's sequencer.
I thought the SE version of the MiniBrute had a sequencer instead of the arpeggiator.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Walter Ego wrote:I thought the SE version of the MiniBrute had a sequencer instead of the arpeggiator.
That's right, it does. It's the set of knobs and switches on the bottom right of the front panel.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Minitaur has no sequencer.

I thought the SE version of the MiniBrute had a sequencer instead of the arpeggiator.
Yes it does, but if you load the SE firmware into a vanilla miniBrute, you get the sequencer functionality. I was incorrect when I said you load the microBrute firmware. Here's the details.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

daynel8

Post by daynel8 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 am

Microbrute is a decent synth for the price. Got mine last year and I'm very pleased with it.