Which mono synth with simple sequencer

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Which mono synth with simple sequencer

Postby Roboscott » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:32 pm

I really want to buy a new mono synthesizer with a simple sequencer and Hands-On controls for a decent price.
I will mostly be using this for bass lines.
I do not have any stores close to me that I can try them
out.
I had a Moog mother 32 last year but returned it because I needed money. I really liked the sound and might just get one of those again but I feel like I maybe could do better.
The Moog Minotaur looks interesting but it seems like a pain because it has no keyboard and I have no computer
I have also been looking at the microbrute and monologue because they are affordable.
right now I own the Roland system 1 also Korg volca keys Korg volca kick.
Thanks!
Roboscott

Re: Which mono synth with simple sequencer

Postby splash81 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:53 am

I would suggest the Microbrute! It has an onboard sequencer (easy and fun to use), plus plenty of knobs to adjust every available parameter. Sounds good, and cheap, too! I would look for a used one, should be able to get one for about $200...
splash81

Postby clubbedtodeath » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:20 am

There's also its bigger brother, the MiniBrute. It has about twice the knobs of the Micro - there's a knob or slider for everything - and a full-sized keyboard. It will happily do bass, especially tied up to a Beatstep or similar, and will quickly get nasty if you push the filter with lots of resonance and distortion.

This Sound On Sound article does a pretty in-depth comparison between the Micro and Mini:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/arturia-microbrute

Personally, if your budget can stretch to it, I'd go for the MiniBrute if you like the Arturia sound. That said, I don't think the MicroBrute would be a bad choice either.

Cheers
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Minitaur has no sequencer.

Neither does the miniBrute out of the box, although there is a way to load the microBrute firmware to replace the mini's arpeggiator for the micro's sequencer.

Other analog monos with step sequencers to consider in the $500 or less range:

Novation Bass Station II
Roland SE-02
Korg Monologue
Pioneer DJ Toraiz AS-1 (no keyboard)
Korg Volca Bass
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Walter Ego » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:52 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Minitaur has no sequencer.

Neither does the miniBrute out of the box, although there is a way to load the microBrute firmware to replace the mini's arpeggiator for the micro's sequencer.

I thought the SE version of the MiniBrute had a sequencer instead of the arpeggiator.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Postby clubbedtodeath » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Walter Ego wrote:I thought the SE version of the MiniBrute had a sequencer instead of the arpeggiator.

That's right, it does. It's the set of knobs and switches on the bottom right of the front panel.
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Minitaur has no sequencer.

I thought the SE version of the MiniBrute had a sequencer instead of the arpeggiator.

Yes it does, but if you load the SE firmware into a vanilla miniBrute, you get the sequencer functionality. I was incorrect when I said you load the microBrute firmware. Here's the details.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby daynel8 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 am

Microbrute is a decent synth for the price. Got mine last year and I'm very pleased with it.
daynel8

Return to Buyer's Guide