Yamaha DJX vs KORG N364 vs YAMAHA W7

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Yamaha DJX vs KORG N364 vs YAMAHA W7

Postby dude » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:37 am

Absolute beginner here, I have no knowledge of pianos/syths whatsoever and only some basic skills at the guitar.

I want to give a try to piano playing with an app such as Yousician.

I'm planning to get a used synth for about $50 for this.

I don't want to invest too much for the moment as I have no idea if I'll get hooked.

I found 3 keyboards on a classifieds website in this price range and I'd like your opinion on the best choice based on my goals and situation.

Yamaha DJX

Re: Yamaha DJX vs KORG N364 vs YAMAHA W7

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:09 pm

The DJX is what is often called a "department store" keyboard. It has onboard speakers, automatic accompaniment features, a primitive sampler and preset sounds that cannot be changed . It has some controls to tweak sounds in real time. While most keyboards of this type are filled mainly with emulated instrument sounds (pianos, organs, brass, winds, strings, drums) and a few synth noises for the typical musical amateur, the DJX is full of turn of the century synth sounds and accompaniments geared towards electronic music fans. It is a good choice if you don't want to create your own sounds or buy external amplification...you just plug it in and go.

I have no experience with the other two models you mentioned.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Yamaha DJX vs KORG N364 vs YAMAHA W7

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:52 am

The N364 experienced a surge in popularity a few years ago due to Nightwish using one on stage.
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Return to Buyer's Guide