Oberheim Matrix 6

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Oberheim Matrix 6

Postby DjPsychic » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:42 am

Hi there, first time posting here! Here's my question: would you buy an Oberheim Matrix 6 for $500 USD if you had the opportunity?

A)One key is non-functioning

B) Quote from seller: "Some voice issues once in a while but all six voices work. On two patches oscillator cuts out unless you calibrate it."

I'm pretty new to the "deep" world of synth so not sure how detrimental the "voice" issues are or how easily they can be fixed.

I'm leaning towards yes only because of the rarity. But would love to know what YOU think. THanks!
DjPsychic

Re: Oberheim Matrix 6

Postby Jabberwalky » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Failing voice chip. Pretty common issue with the Matrix 6. You could calibrate it for a while, but eventually it will die completely. Luckily replacements exist. $500 seems about right.

http://www.maad.net/ms6/
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Postby DjPsychic » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Failing voice chip. Pretty common issue with the Matrix 6. You could calibrate it for a while, but eventually it will die completely. Luckily replacements exist. $500 seems about right.

http://www.maad.net/ms6/

Thanks for your response. Good to know repairs aren't crazy serious. I guess I'm more asking if you or other synth peoples out there think this is a "don't miss" opportunity.
DjPsychic

Postby micahjonhughes » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:54 pm

The price seems to be pretty average. I would say it is not a "don't miss" opportunity. If you want to spend the time fixing it and really like the synth, maybe this is the deal for you. If you are going to pay someone to fix it, plan on spending several hundred dollars more, which probably keeps it from being any kind of good deal.

The biggest factor should probably be whether or not you like the synth. I've owned one on several occasions. It's not on my list of synths I plan on ever buying again. But, it is all personal preference.
micahjonhughes

Postby DjPsychic » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:30 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:The price seems to be pretty average. I would say it is not a "don't miss" opportunity. If you want to spend the time fixing it and really like the synth, maybe this is the deal for you. If you are going to pay someone to fix it, plan on spending several hundred dollars more, which probably keeps it from being any kind of good deal.

The biggest factor should probably be whether or not you like the synth. I've owned one on several occasions. It's not on my list of synths I plan on ever buying again. But, it is all personal preference.

I appreciate your feedback, thanks. Kind of what I needed to hear.
DjPsychic

Return to Buyer's Guide