Roland D-10

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Roland D-10

Postby ian » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Hey everyone,
Recently bought a patch bay off a Craigslist fella, and found a Roland D-10 sitting in his storage space winking at me. He says he'll sell it for $100 ( which means I can talk him down). I looked online and I think it's kind of an awesome synth. That said, I already have a Korg DW8000, a Kawai 1 ii, a Kawai 3, and various FM's- Not the same but you know...

I need a new laptop because my ex spilled red wine all over mine and despite my best efforts it is no more for this world. All my money should be set aside for a new computer, so I can record again, but I grew up with antique dealers for parents, so I have an inhereited " if it's a deal, buy it" mentality. There's also many other more useful gear(s) I should be putting money away for, but I can't shake the nagging feeling that I am walking away from a pretty cool instrument; at a give away price. I don't mind the clunky interface sort of stuff, as much as some might, because I can usually figure out a happy medium between full on nerd out vs. plug and play.

Talk me out of it? I feel like my down fall in gear acquisition is often quantity over quality, I tend to fall in love with three eyed, one legged strays.
ian

Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Re: Roland D-10

Postby ian » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:59 pm

On the same note=
"Roland JV-880 RACK SOUND MIDI MODULE PIANO ORGAN STRINGS

A problem arose when the expansion card was removed. The Performance patches disappeared
and the editing buttons stopped responding. Good news is that all the module's sounds still work fine
and sound great. There three banks (A and B) with 64 sounds each and (Internal) with another
64 sounds. Even without the performance mode it's a great sounding addition to any setup. $25"

Add $25 gas money + 3 hrs driving ... Worth it?
ian

Gear: TR707, yam Sk20, Korg MS20, yam DX Reface and Dx7, Arturia micro, Kawai 1 Ii and 3... My step up is a work in progress.
Band: Black Limo

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:41 am

probably needs a hard reset. the jv 1080 i bought had 4 expansion cards in it and guitar center didnt even know it.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby crystalmsc » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:35 pm

ian wrote:a Korg DW8000, a Kawai 1 ii, a Kawai 3, and various FM's- Not the same but you know...

I own a D-50 and D-110, based from your collection you might like it. It's a simpler, more lo-fi sounding D-50 with crappy fx. But the engine is capable for some interesting result, especially through an outboard processor. I assumed that you are familiar using synths with a limited interface, the editing can be hard without an editor. If you are into the MT-32 type of game music, it can be a good choice.
ian wrote:D-10 for $100

JV-80 "$25" Add $25 gas money + 3 hrs driving ... Worth it?

There are some discussions that the JV-80 sounds more open than the darker sounding JV-1080. To me the JV-1080 plugin is something like that. If it didn't have to be a hardware, the math could lead to the cloud subs and keep either the D-50 or JV-1080 plugin after a year. But if it has to be a hardware, imho the JV-880 is a better value, especially with an expansion board in the future.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 9 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline