Analog Real Time Editing On a Budget

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Analog Real Time Editing On a Budget

Postby WinterCityWalks » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:32 am

Hello, I was wondering if there were any quality synths that could be, preferably analog, but more importantly with real-time editing and an arpeggiator (I’m basucally asking if there’s any less expensive Juno 60, or even more accurately, an Alpha Juno with an arpeggiator and real time editing). My budget is ~$400-600 and I could definitely go above depending on if a synth is really worth it, if not I may end up buying a midi controller.

I know this sounds like a “what should I buy” post, but I honestly need a bit of assistance in weeding through the tons and tons of synths that’re out there . So if anything comes to mind that would be greatly appreciated.
WinterCityWalks

Re: Analog Real Time Editing On a Budget

Postby Z » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:11 pm

New or vintage? Monophonic or polyphonic?

We're living in a great time for new analog synths. There's SO many choices and most under $500!

Arturia MiniBrute, MiniBrute 2 & MicroBrute - all analog monosynths with lots of sliders and an arpeggiator (sequencer on the MicroBrute) and under $500 each

Behringer Deepmind 6 - 6 voice poly for $700 new, $550 used. Can also find Deepmind 12 used for $700 or less.

Korg Monologue (mono) & Minilogue (4 voice poly) under $500 each

Roland SE-02 3 oscillator monosynth based on Minimoog - $500

I'm too tired to list more. Just go on Sweetwater.com look at different models then check out YouTube demos.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby ranzee » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:56 am

I'd say Korg Minilogue would be a good start. That synth is bigger and deeper than a lot of people give it credit for.

If I was to say where does it come from - I'd say it is a cross between an ARP Odyssey and a RSF Kobol - and they are both amazing analog synth makers!

It has an ARP. The only negative is the keybed - but meh, unless we're Richard Clayderman, do we really need such luxuries :) lo (tongue-in-cheek)
ranzee

Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Postby WinterCityWalks » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Sorry I forgot to be specific, I am more in the market for a polyphonic synth, and I'm not too keen on the sound of the Minilogue, or it's key size
WinterCityWalks

Postby Ashe37 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Z wrote:New or vintage? Monophonic or polyphonic?

We're living in a great time for new analog synths. There's SO many choices and most under $500!

Arturia MiniBrute, MiniBrute 2 & MicroBrute - all analog monosynths with lots of sliders and an arpeggiator (sequencer on the MicroBrute) and under $500 each

Behringer Deepmind 6 - 6 voice poly for $700 new, $550 used. Can also find Deepmind 12 used for $700 or less.

Korg Monologue (mono) & Minilogue (4 voice poly) under $500 each

Roland SE-02 3 oscillator monosynth based on Minimoog - $500

I'm too tired to list more. Just go on Sweetwater.com look at different models then check out YouTube demos.

You forgot the Behringer D.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Return to Buyer's Guide