Is Volca Beats/Bass/Keys/FM and D-05 good?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Is Volca Beats/Bass/Keys/FM and D-05 good?

Postby Music Bird » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:21 pm

The title says it all. I’m looking at the Roland D-05 and those specific Korg Volcas. How will it work for creating my own music? I may be getting these to have a hardware setup.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, Harmony 61, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Re: Is Volca Beats/Bass/Keys/FM and D-05 good?

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:26 am

I have both the Volca Keys and Bass. they are fine for small analogs, nice and portable.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Now looking at D-05/Keystep/SR-16/Behringer Model D

Postby Music Bird » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:39 pm

I figured since I have Dexed and the Minilogue, the Keys and FM are not worth it. And I’m looking for a better drum machine, so I’m looking at the SR-16, since it’s been made for almost 30 years (since 1989) and is still being produced. Also, D-05 and Keystep are what I am still looking at, and Behringer Model D for bass and Moog sounds.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, Harmony 61, SR-16, MX49)
Music Bird

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:19 am

Since the keys is paraphonic, and has a different filter, it isnt going to sound like the minilogue. The Volca Beats is an analog drum machine that sounds a bit like the 606, while the SR-16 is a 16-bit sample based drum machine that still has most of the same limitations now as it did when it came out in 1989.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby Music Bird » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:31 pm

I think the SR-16 will have more options, and Minilogue has some sounds the Volca doesn’t do. I’m looking at the D-05 for the presets (I wish to still use the default D-50 presets and the D-50 PN-D50-ROM1-4 and the new D-05 presets in my music, even if it risks sounding somewhat dated, but some D-50 presets still sound good IMO). Keystep for use as a MIDI controller (with aftertouch), a synth for monophonic stuff like basslines (Behringer D or Microbrute), the D-05 for 80’s sounds and bell type stuff, and the SR-16 for drums (even though they sound dated, for the music I do (my original songs), that’s fine). Also a pack of MIDI cables. Using this as a setup for making music.
Music Bird

Postby groy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:49 pm

^^ That sounds about reasonable and like you know what you want, not sure why you asked. Maybe consider getting them one at a time so that you have introduction time with each one and don’t get creative block looking at a bunch of new gear. Next you’re going to want outboard effects if you don't have them yet…
groy

Postby clubbedtodeath » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:08 am

The B*hringer Model D will certainly cover bass and leads, with a Moogy flavour. It has a low or high pass filter, and a small patchbay at the top of the unit. This can do proper mad stuff, especially if you patch to the OSC pitch CV from the mix out. I can't think of anything that compares for the price. It has 3 oscillators, and the 3rd can have pitch control turned off -- you use its pitch knob instead. This is more useful than you might think. It's a lot of fun (even if you feel slightly unclean buying it).

The Volca Beats is a handy little analogue drum machine, especially for what it costs. However, at the very least it needs the snare mod (Google it). The sequencer is straightforward: you can't sequence patterns, but you can change the pattern length on the fly for rolls, etc. I record chunks of this to arrange into full drum track.

Cheers
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby rakan34 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Korg is definitely going on the right direction. They’ve brought the analog technology back, and they’re doing very well at that, thankfully
rakan34

Postby Kentronix » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:32 pm

I love my volcas (2x bass, a keys and a beats). For mucking around and having fun they are great. Ultimately after I have had my fun and got a groove going I normally end up sequencing them through midi. There is some CC control over the settings and its very easy to fit midi out so you can transfer patterns over from the volca to your sequencer.

The beats is rather lacking though, fun but I rarely end up recording sounds from it, even though I have done a significant snare mod.

Its very easy to introduce noise, its safest not to share an adapter but have one each.
Find the date of your vintage Roland gear
Kentronix

Gear: ABL3. Waldorf Rocket, MicroBrute, Volca Bass x 2, Volca Keys, Volca Beats, Rhythm wolf, Boss DR-550, Korg Delta, Yamaha DX-11, Roland D110, Reaper DAW

Postby mis psiquicios y yo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Consider switching the volca beats for the volca sample, a lot, lot better for making better and more complex beats. I have the D05, volca keys and sample, and they are all great machines. Used to have the volca beats, but i sold it since i have the V Sample which is simply amazing for making beats.
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular
mis psiquicios y yo

Return to Buyer's Guide