Page 1 of 1

Digital Rackmount Synth with Analog Sound/Modelling?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:31 pm
by Tbonesteak4
Hello everyone,
Can someone recommend a rackmount digital synthesizer that has some good capabilities as an analog synth stand-in?

I'm looking to drive it from my composing workstation, so ideally I'd like to have the capability for running multiple lead lines or a few pads. Currently I'm writing these parts with U-he Diva or NI Massive, but even on a really powerful rig (Intel-i9 based) things can get hairy with a lot of simultaneous tracks. So far I've picked up a Yamaha TX81z, a dual SID Commodore 64, and Teensyboy Pro (running an original Gameboy), so I'm somewhat covered across the gritty video game spectrum. I'm loving what I'm getting out of this hardware and I'm hoping to fill out the anolog(ish) side.

To give some context, I've been working on writing music with the intention of composing for indie games for several years now, and I'm getting ready to launch a marketing platform. I currently have a robust collection of software synths in addition to the hardware mentioned above, but I would love to get some more interesting sounding hardware to round everything out.

Re: Digital Rackmount Synth with Analog Sound/Modelling?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:53 pm
by meatballfulton
A few:

Korg MS2000, Radias

Access Virus (A, B, C, TI) desktop with rack kit

Nord Lead Rack (2, 2x, A1, 4)

Red Sound Elevata (rare, but cheap if you can find one)

Roland MKS50, MKS70 (real analog)

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Matrix 1000 (real analog)

Re: Digital Rackmount Synth with Analog Sound/Modelling?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:44 pm
by Tbonesteak4
meatballfulton wrote:A few:

Korg MS2000, Radias

Access Virus (A, B, C, TI) desktop with rack kit

Nord Lead Rack (2, 2x, A1, 4)

Red Sound Elevata (rare, but cheap if you can find one)

Roland MKS50, MKS70 (real analog)

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Matrix 1000 (real analog)


Thank you so much for the quick response! That is a fantastic jumping off point for me and I'm excited to do some research. Any personal favorites out of that list?

Re: Digital Rackmount Synth with Analog Sound/Modelling?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:01 am
by NCChao1268
Not sure if this would help but the 1990's Kurzweil K-Series (K2000, K2500, K2600) rackmount models had a great selection of digital sounds and great reproductions of classic analog synth sounds, though is a little harder to understand the programming (They use VAST). I own the K2000 and think it is a great synth.

Re: Digital Rackmount Synth with Analog Sound/Modelling?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:23 pm
by meatballfulton
Tbonesteak4 wrote:Any personal favorites out of that list?


Korg Radias, Virus TI

Re: Digital Rackmount Synth with Analog Sound/Modelling?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:52 am
by Tbonesteak4
NCChao1268 wrote:Not sure if this would help but the 1990's Kurzweil K-Series (K2000, K2500, K2600) rackmount models had a great selection of digital sounds and great reproductions of classic analog synth sounds, though is a little harder to understand the programming (They use VAST). I own the K2000 and think it is a great synth.


I really enjoyed going through some demos of these synths! They sound awesome and I've had a fantastic time learning about the VAST system and what's possible with it. This will definitely go on a demo list for the future and I'll be keeping an eye out for one.

meatballfulton wrote:
Tbonesteak4 wrote:Any personal favorites out of that list?


Korg Radias, Virus TI


The Virus TI has ended up being my favorite out of this list. Besides sounding amazing, the total integration VST plugin, the patch editor, the large amount of analog outs pretty much seamlessly fits in to the way I already run my soft synths in my DAW. The price, all things considered, is really not bad at all either. I think this is the option I will be pursuing first.