Yamaha SY35 Equivalent

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
The Cat

Yamaha SY35 Equivalent

Post by The Cat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi there.

I use to play keyboard in a band with one of these about 25 years ago.

Looks like the band wants to reform and I am way out of the loop about keyboards now.

Can someone suggest an alternative to this keyboard as I am finding it hard to source one of these?

What I particularly liked was the ability to split the keyboard so I could play strings with my left and and piano with the right etc.

Many thanks for any help.

The Cat

Re: Yamaha SY35 Equivalent

Post by The Cat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:01 pm

After much Googling I like the sound of the Korg Kross 2. Anyone have any opinions of it please?

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:49 pm

Never used one, but like most workstations and other modern romplers it has the ability to split and layer sounds across the keyboard. It doesn't do vector synthesis though.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: When Violets Turn Grey

Post by Hyde » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:22 am

Ebay, reverb, guitarcenterused. They pop up quite often & pretty cheap. Love mine. Has a great edge to it.

There is one on Reverb.com I bought mine in Seattle, last year. It was listed at $299 in great condition w/ manual. I offered $250 & took it home. I've seen them sell for a lot less. Shipping always becomes an issue, in price. Do an advanced search on Ebay & you can look at sold items, to see what they are selling for. Offer them something.
Kawai K1 was similar & pretty cheap, as well. These days, the big push is analog. There have been a lot of great synths, along the way but, that sound & the vector stick isn't something that had a long hold in the market.
Makin' Noises

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:49 pm

It doesn't sound like you had any major attachment to the actual sounds. Just the split and layer facilities? The Korg can do that.

I think you're better off going to a local shop and trying out the keyboards there, pick the one you like in real life :)