Modern poly to complement Jupiter-8?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
DesolationBlvd

Modern poly to complement Jupiter-8?

Post by DesolationBlvd » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:14 pm

In the near future, I want to send my Jupiter-8 off for maintenance and to get MIDI installed. I will get one more full-featured polysynth, to tide me over while the Jupiter is out, and to complement it when it's back. My original plan was to get a Prophet-6 or OB-6 desktop, to provide a different character from the Jupiter-8, deciding when I'm finally at the store.

But then I started looking at other synths on the market, and in a different direction. Keeping in mind my aforementioned first choices, my budget is <$2500, which I expect to have after selling off all the gear that's gathering dust.

The Novation Peak caught my attention with its price and its filter character that reminds me in a good way of the Alpha Juno and MKS-80 I used to have - and then the sawtooth density / detune is supposed to be their version of a supersaw, so it could most of what I'll be missing once the JP-8080 goes. Having eight voices, it could layer very well with the MIDI'd up Jupiter-8.

And while I was looking at the Peak, I heard the DSI Prophet-12 mentioned. Sounds like its future is uncertain (keyboard version discontinued, module price dropped), and Sequential will probably have announced its successor by the time everything sells. But that price cut and increased polyphony are attractive. Yes, it has the filter from the '08/Rev2 that I shunned for its harsher character, but maybe having oscillator volume controls instead of a fixed volume and blender could go a long way towards getting a more vintage sound.

The other big advantage is that those two modules can be rack-mounted - the Peak has aftermarket ears, the Prophet-12 has official ears.
Roland Jupiter-8 / SH-101 / RS-09 / MKS-30 / MKS-80
Moog Matriarch
Korg MS-20 Kit / ARP Odyssey FSQ
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Ensoniq SQ-80
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Modern poly to complement Jupiter-8?

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:43 pm

I enjoyed the Peak when i reviewed it for VSE, and I liked playing with the Prophet 12 module at NAMM and subsequently at stores. I'm still waffling over both. To throw another wrench into your works, there is also the Novation Summit.....

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:55 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:43 pm
I enjoyed the Peak when i reviewed it for VSE, and I liked playing with the Prophet 12 module at NAMM and subsequently at stores. I'm still waffling over both. To throw another wrench into your works, there is also the Novation Summit.....
I see the Summit is the same price as the Prophet-6 module and doubles the Peak's voices on top of having new filter modes (being able to space the two filters?). I'd have to go through the extra step of selling the DX7 for a module again.

If I do go with a hybrid instead of a VCO synth, I'm torn. The Prophet can do 4 op FM over the Peak's 3 ops, and can route an oscillator to pulse width like a classic Prophet, but the Peak has the supersaw and seems to have more waveforms. Then the Prophet has that Character section. Of course, I'm already biased towards the Peak's filter.

I found a thread on another forum called "I want to love the Prophet-6", which is where I'm getting my guesses about the Prophets' gain staging and being able to dial in or out dirt...and apparently VCA amount plays into it as well? At this point, I may have to go to the store and play them for myself.
Moog Matriarch
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Ensoniq SQ-80
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:26 pm

yeah, you might. And yes, the Peak has a greater variety of wavetables whereas the Prophet 12 uses tools to shape the wavetables it has.

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:32 pm

On second thought, I might be open to letting go of the DX7 to make way for the Summit. My DX7 is a Mk1, so it doesn't send the full range of velocity. The Novation site says the Summit uses the keybed from the SL mkIII, so how does that feel compared to the Yamaha FS action?
Moog Matriarch
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Ensoniq SQ-80
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:26 pm

Don't forget the Rev2*! My only regret is not getting the 16-voice version.

(*) But aye, the Summit sounds gorgeous too.

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:44 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:26 pm
Don't forget the Rev2*! My only regret is not getting the 16-voice version.

(*) But aye, the Summit sounds gorgeous too.
Yeah, I kinda already wrote Rev2 off in my OP, since I didn't like the 08's character. I'll try it out in the store when I'm trying the others, though.
Moog Matriarch
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Ensoniq SQ-80
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:56 pm

well, let us know how it goes.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:16 pm

DesolationBlvd wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:44 pm
Yeah, I kinda already wrote Rev2 off in my OP, since I didn't like the 08's character. I'll try it out in the store when I'm trying the others, though.
I'd be interested to hear what you think. I found the Rev2 similar to the 08 in person, except the Rev2 seemed less harsh, with more sweet spots (or sweeter sweet spots?). That may just be myself, though.

Regardless, I hope you find what you're looking for.

Cheers

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:56 am

Back from Chuck Levin's, picking up some Tiptop Stackables for the Matriarch (I don't have to use up both multiples on PWM for all of the oscillators for paraphonic pads), and trying out the synths.

Peak (since Summit isn't out yet) - Since my earlier posts, I became more curious about the filter. Their site says it's a state variable filter, so I wanted to see how well it could do Oberheim. I was fooled by this comparison with the OB-6, the modern benchmark of Oberheim tone: When I went to the store, I was running back and forth between the Peak and OB, dialing the Peak in to match the OB with a resonant filter sweep brass, using a little oscillator drift and filter drive to get some more analog grit into the Peak. I managed to get them more than close enough in my hands. I also tested out the sawtooth density - a bit thin compared to the original JP-80x0 Supersaw, but bringing in a second oscillator of full sawtooth density filled it out. I tried the SL iii. It felt good enough, though I thought it was a bit of a step down from the Fatar action on the SL ii they had there. With its broad range of personalities, my mind is set on this. Shall I go for the Summit instead of the Peak, the DX7 goes on or under my coffee table once the Jupiter returns.

Prophet-6 - Silky and buttery smooth filter, a character that distinguishes itself from both the fat and solid Moog filter and the precise and metallic Roland filter. Extra points for having an independent high-pass filter, which Peak doesn't (but Summit will). With its singular but deep character that speaks to me, my heart is set on this.

Prophet Rev2 - Actually not as unpleasant as I thought it would be. The character is still a bit brash with laser resonance. If I never had my Jupiter and was on a tighter budget, I would have been torn between this (winning on aftertouch and filter FM) and the Prologue (winning on oscillators and filter character).

Prophet-12 - Couldn't find the Linear FM on the floor model to see how FM sounds would play with analog filtering. Maybe it was never-updated old stock?
Moog Matriarch
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Ensoniq SQ-80
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:08 pm

yeah, the prophet 12 was likely never upgraded

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:24 pm

I was almost ready to start saving up. Summit this year, Prophet-6 module next year.

But then the MFB SYNTH PRO is also coming soon. Priced low enough that I could get it and the Peak together for not much more than the Prophet module alone, and one-upping the Prophet in some features - 8 voices, one more oscillator and LFO, and the second filter being multi-mode and being able to be in parallel instead of HPF/series only.

But their 24dB mode uses SSI2144, which is based on SSM2044, while the Prophet-6 LPF is designed to sound like the SSM2040. I'm assuming the MFB's 12dB multi-mode is a state-variable filter, so should get me some of those OB sounds, freeing the Peak up to show off its digital oscillator.

I'm worried that the SSI2144, being based on the SSM2044, being based on the Moog filter, would be too close to my existing Moog.
Moog Matriarch
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Ensoniq SQ-80
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:52 pm

DesolationBlvd wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:24 pm
I'm worried that the SSI2144, being based on the SSM2044, being based on the Moog filter, would be too close to my existing Moog.
I never knew it was based on the Moog. It doesn't really sound like it, has its own character that is really very nice. Hence the popularity.

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:47 pm

madtheory wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:52 pm
DesolationBlvd wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:24 pm
I never knew it was based on the Moog. It doesn't really sound like it, has its own character that is really very nice. Hence the popularity.
I may have been repeating decades-old misinformation on this one. I should have said "loosely based", at the very least, it was different enough to not infringe on the Moog patent.

Having listened to demos of SSM2044-equipped synths, I think it's distinct enough from Moog and Roland for me to have room for it - and distinct enough from the SSM2040 to leave room for the Prophet-6 next year.

I'll preorder the MFB as soon as possible, and get the Peak once the JP-8080 and a guitar or two sells.
Moog Matriarch
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Ensoniq SQ-80
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM