Would Behringer Poly D make a MicroMoog redundant?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Dizzy Victrola

Would Behringer Poly D make a MicroMoog redundant?

Post by Dizzy Victrola » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Hi -

I play in a funk band. My normal board is a Nord Electro 5D. I also have a Korg Microkorg. Earlier this year I was jamming at the For The Funk Of It festival and got to play on a Moog MicroMoog. I fell in love with how intuitive and live it felt (e.g. blistering solos in a jam) and have been exploring various analog boards since then.

Fast forward, with the announcement of the Behringer Poly D. The way it combines analog sounds with modern digital controls and options and 4 notes is a no brainer, so I've just been waiting to get it.

But now it just so happens, I may be able to get a deal today on a MicroMoog (around $350)!

So the question is: Assuming I still go forward with the Behringer Poly D -- would the MicroMoog be made completely redundant (or even be lesser)? Is there anything special the MicroMoog might have, even just a vibe or fun/cool factor that would justify having both? So I might want to use one vs the other at times (e.g.Moog for shows, Poly D at home?) I'm less concerned about the money, than just pointless redundancy. If I end up selling the MicroMoog, I'll have wasted my time.

Thanks for any insights guys!
Eugene

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Would Behringer Poly D make a MicroMoog redundant?

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:14 am

this is my opinion...

the Poly D, even used in mono mode, would not only make the micromoog redundant, but since it has more than one VCO, it would be more flexible.

Music Bird
Gear: Casio CT-X3000/WK-7600/SK-1
Yamaha MX49
Korg Minilogue
Alesis SR-16

Re: Would Behringer Poly D make a MicroMoog redundant?

Post by Music Bird » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:56 pm

Yes, Model D was the king of funk and electro basses and leads along with the Prophet-5 for poly parts. It also has more oscillators.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.