Can anyone help me. I'm looking to buy my 1st hardware synthesizer

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Dalle

Can anyone help me. I'm looking to buy my 1st hardware synthesizer

Post by Dalle » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:26 pm

I'm a electronic musician of sorts looking to buy my 1st hardware synth.
I use a lot of soft synths and have come up with some great personal presets over the last few years.

I realized that you can only go so far with soft synth in regards to sound design so that's why I'm looking to spend 500 euro on a synthesizer.

My favorite software synthesizers are Rob Papen Predator, Native Instruments FM8, Miroslav Philharmonic, Atriu Prophet. I'm looking for something that is midi compatible, or even something that can be played once a midi file has been created before. And you can rewrite using the hardware synthesizer.

I suppose I would describe the overall sound as a mix of fischerspooner, Dead Can Dance, Mount Sims, Ladytron, Grimes, Gary Numan.

Which synth in your opinion is best for what I'm going for? I was looking at the following. Any other suggestions of other synthesizers would be greatly appreciated.

roland aira System 1 synth
Roland gai
Novation Bass Station
Novation ultra nova

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Can anyone help me. I'm looking to buy my 1st hardware synthesizer

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:11 am

I'd start with the ultranova and then the System 1. If you already have a keyboard, consider the system1m. The Bass Station is great but monophonic... the Gaia is meh.