0-coast, Crave, modular (passive splitting)

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Elias

0-coast, Crave, modular (passive splitting)

Post by Elias » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:03 pm

I found myself wanting a beefy bass sound on a desktop through midi. Found Moog Minitaur/Sirin, thought about buying. Looked around again and found Make Noise 0-coast and Behringer Crave. I thought about Minibrute 2 or 2s instead of Crave (because of the patch bay), but I think I dont think I want a 12 dB/oct filter.

I do not have any modular gear yet. Could this (0-coast + Crave) be a combo to start out with?
Are there alternatives for Crave with 18 or 24 dB/oct filters? (Need audio in to filter, dont really need the sequencer)
Is it a totally stupid idea to route 0-coast through Craves filter to get a more complex oscillator in the mix?
Also: how much does passive (non buffered) splitting create voltage drop? Is it noticeable when splitting into 2 v/oct inputs? Do I need an active splitter to help with that?

Any alternatives, suggestions, opinions, facts, fiction, anything is deeply appreciated.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: 0-coast, Crave, modular (passive splitting)

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:08 pm

You only need active splits when you are sending pitch CVs to more than one or two destinations. If the Pitch CV drops much at all, it can seriously affect tuning of VCOs, especially tracking over a wide range of octaves. It's not going to be an issue with only two synths in use.

Nothing wrong with your idea about routing a 0-Coast into a Crave to make use of the complex oscillator, that's what modular patching is all about. You can also so the opposite, use the Crave VCO,EG, LFO to modulate the 0-Coast.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.