Oldie but ....

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
CJ_keys

Oldie but ....

Post by CJ_keys » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi Every one

I'm quite old, but new here.
I first bought a synth in 1980, and in 1982 or there abouts I bought

Juno60 SH101, MC202, TR707

- Ive had them stored for at least 20 years. Since then I am worried to fire them up again as not sure if they corrode etc and I don't want them damaged.

I would like to have them MOT'd and brought back to life

I'm in Norfolk, can any one recommend where they they can get some TLC? - will travel...

Thank you!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Oldie but ....

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:29 pm

Norfolk where?

Virginia, England, Botswana, Belarus?

With the Juno there might be a worry about the power supply capacitors having dried out from lack of use. Since the other three machines all use wall warts, that's not an issue.

The backup battery for the Juno needs to be looked at and hopefully you removed the batteries from the others before storing them.

Try PMing Hideaway Studio, a member here who is quite expert on repairs and restorations.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

CJ_keys

Post by CJ_keys » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:15 am

Many thanks I'll take a look!

From Norfolk England :D

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:53 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:29 pm
With the Juno there might be a worry about the power supply capacitors having dried out from lack of use. Since the other three machines all use wall warts, that's not an issue.
Why not? Wall warts have capacitors too.

CJ_keys

Post by CJ_keys » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:01 pm

Hi again

So, if my synths have 'dried up' ,. What would happen when I turn them on?

They've not been powered up for over 10 years but have been stored wrapped and in a warm room.

Thanks guys

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:00 pm

Anything from nothing, to: random noises, excessive hum or buzz or hiss from the outputs, glitchy display, no display, totally non-functional, overheating, slowly destroying hard to replace components, etc. In short: it's risky.