$40 analog synth?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

$40 analog synth?

Post by Tyler2000 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:58 pm

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2008/06 ... every.html

Opinions? I'm planning on getting one.
so what do I put down here now?

dinotread

Post by dinotread » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:11 am

The Japanese link has a pic. of it with the external source being a toy Theramin or something. Looks cool, I'd be interested in getting one.

http://otonanokagaku.net/magazine/special2/index.html

ndkent

Post by ndkent » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:26 am

I posted the initial info. It's actually a $30 (3200 yen) analog synth kit sold with a special issue magazine about inventions and how they work. I said "$40 something" because it's going to cost well over $10 more to get it shipped or exported. Probably more like a $20 markup. I guess you'd need to compare back issues. This kit is not out yet. It's out in Japan 7/30 and will probably be easier to order about a month later. Just look for places with other "Otona no Kagaku" issues and kits. Sometimes "Gakken" will find some. Also in the past some resellers mark them up in price a bit more but give non-Japanese speaking buyers an unofficial translation of the instructions. But those might not show up until the time it takes for someone to make one

They regularly sell simple kits with magazines that are a bit cheap and toy-like but are simply amazing that someone would manufacture something that eccentrically retro in the 2000s. Like a working gramaphone that uses coffee cups for recording or a tube based radio with a hand wound antenna. The toy theremin was in an issue last year.

nick
http://technopop.info

polardark

Post by polardark » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:14 am

It does look pretty kickass. I'd love it if someting like that was available to buy. Goes to show how cheap electronics really are today.

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:40 am

polardark wrote: I'd love it if someting like that was available to buy.
???

It is available... for 3200¥.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:35 am

The theremin sounds like a toy duck or race car. I don't feel like going out of my way to get the synth kit now. Who knows maybe it will somewhat cool after all.

Mini-Theremin Otona no Kagaku

Is there really no magazine's like that over here(North America)? I haven't gone into book stores in ages. We need some "Adult's Science" over here except we would have to change the name because people get the wrong idea too easy.

Edit: Here's a better demo

Excercise of Theremin Mini

guesswho
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by guesswho » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:54 am

RobotHeroes wrote:The theremin sounds like a toy duck or race car. I don't feel like going out of my way to get the synth kit now. Who knows maybe it will somewhat cool after all.
Your attitude towards these "synth" kits is the same as all the hi-fi snobs was for the Vacuum Tube Amplifier kit that Gakken put out. These are educational toy kits for kids - not investments only to be sold for hundreds down the road on ebay.

I think a lot of people are building these up to be more than what they are, and are going to be very disappointed.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:11 am

guesswho wrote:Your attitude towards these "synth" kits is the same as all the hi-fi snobs was for the Vacuum Tube Amplifier kit that Gakken put out. These are educational toy kits for kids - not investments only to be sold for hundreds down the road on ebay.

I think a lot of people are building these up to be more than what they are, and are going to be very disappointed.
Edit: Wouldn't want to anger the mods.

*ahem*...you are defending a toy that I said sounds like toys and that I think would turn out to be somewhat amusing. I wasn't anywhere near sound quality. Have you ever even heard a duck toy before?

I think you are building it up yourself to be a Moog Modular or something...:happy3:
Last edited by RobotHeroes on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:13 am

I actually like the sound of the Theremin kit. It's not something you'd use on a recording, but it looks really fun to build and play. I wonder what it would sound like ran through some nice effects.. You could also look at it as a cheap way to get experience on a Theremin before going out and buying one from Moog for a lot more money. I'm looking forward to seeing some demo's of the synth when it comes out.
Last edited by Hossinfeffa on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well fffff.

breitt

Post by breitt » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:14 am

guesswho wrote: I think a lot of people are building these up to be more than what they are, and are going to be very disappointed.
Yep. I remember thinking that the "Sea Monkeys" I ordered from the back of my Spiderman comic book in 1972 were going to be like giant seahorse families with smiling faces.

Today's $40 analog synth = yesteryear's brine shrimp.
Elektron Analog 4

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:26 am

breitt wrote:
guesswho wrote: I think a lot of people are building these up to be more than what they are, and are going to be very disappointed.
Yep. I remember thinking that the "Sea Monkeys" I ordered from the back of my Spiderman comic book in 1972 were going to be like giant seahorse families with smiling faces.

Today's $40 analog synth = yesteryear's brine shrimp.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet the Marine Biology enthusiasts were pissed off at the quality.

kylejun06

Post by kylejun06 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:28 pm

WOO! thank god i live in japan haha. :D
Once this thing hits shelves, I'll go scour for it at the local bookstore.

My only question is, how do you even play it?
I'm guessing you use that ribbon controller like thing near the bottom to trigger notes.
Equipment: FL Studio 7, Reason, microKORG, Alesis Multimix 8 USB, Electribe EMX-1 (looking to sell/trade), Edirol PCR-M80, LSDJ, and my precious MXL 990s :]

mute

Post by mute » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:32 pm

looks like a glorified Stylophone. I want one :D

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:57 pm

mute wrote:looks like a glorified Stylophone. I want one :D
Exactly... remember the stylophone is $30 and is usable.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:34 pm

There could be good business in one of our Japanese VSE members exporting these things, and maybe translating the instructions (hint, hint).
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS