$40 analog synth?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:48 pm

RobotHeroes wrote:Is there really no magazine's like that over here(North America)? I haven't gone into book stores in ages.
There used to be, there's a few computer-oriented DIY mags still around.

Many PAiA products were first written up as projects in mags like Radio Electronics, you got the full schematic and parts list to roll your own or you could order the kits from PAiA.

It just aint like the 60s and 70s when you could buy kits for organs, guitar amps, pedal FX, stereo gear, etc. from Heath, Allied, Eico, Schober, etc.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Post by Henfield » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:01 am

I admit that the Theremin looks like a toy and does not have a full theremin function, as it only has one antenna. However, like others have said, it can introduce someone to the world of the Theremin and to the world of building your own electronics!

The Analog synth, on the other hand, looks much more professional (it at least has the knobs labelled with parameters that you are used to controlling in an analog synth), and it looks much like the Paia Gnome, which was detailed years ago in the Magazine "Radio Electronics" under the article of "Build a Portable Synthesizer". I will be in line to buy the magazine / kit.

Henfield
Gear: MU Modular in a Moog 1P style cabinet, Moog Minitaur, and Moogerfooger rack.

Post by Henfield » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:59 am

meatballfulton wrote: Many PAiA products were first written up as projects in mags like Radio Electronics, you got the full schematic and parts list to roll your own or you could order the kits from PAiA.
Sorry, I didn't look at your post before I put mine in.

kylejun06

Post by kylejun06 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:22 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:There could be good business in one of our Japanese VSE members exporting these things, and maybe translating the instructions (hint, hint).

hmm..
i like this idea.
:D
haha.
Equipment: FL Studio 7, Reason, microKORG, Alesis Multimix 8 USB, Electribe EMX-1 (looking to sell/trade), Edirol PCR-M80, LSDJ, and my precious MXL 990s :]

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:26 pm

want want want!
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:56 pm

hmmm...

it's small....

it's a synt....

i think i'm going to like it.

-geoffrey smallsynth

andrasklang

Post by andrasklang » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:14 pm

would anyone be willing to get a box of these for the forum? im sure they would sell all of them...
a goodwill gesture for those in need of toyss............s.s.s.s.

severen

Post by severen » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:40 pm

mute wrote:looks like a glorified Stylophone. I want one :D
It’s just as I thought

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:41 am

andrasklang wrote:would anyone be willing to get a box of these for the forum? im sure they would sell all of them...
a goodwill gesture for those in need of toyss............s.s.s.s.
That would be the raddest.
so what do I put down here now?

ndkent

Post by ndkent » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:24 am

Well yes, it plays like a Stylophone, but it is a big step in a synth direction given it has a filter, simple EG, etc which you won't find on a Stylophone. What it really looks like to me is a somewhat stripped down PAIA Gnome (at a made in China price). There is no VCA for instance. Apparently that was intentional to cut down costs, the closing filter functions to mute the sound.

There is a web article in Japanese talking about the design process -

http://otonanokagaku.net/feature/vol15/index.html

the vintage unit they studied to design this was the Amdek PCK-100,
a Boss PC-2 like pedal sized pad and electronic drum sound that seems to have been a kit. Amdek was a Roland company.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:33 pm

ndkent wrote:Well yes, it plays like a Stylophone, but it is a big step in a synth direction given it has a filter, simple EG, etc which you won't find on a Stylophone. .
The only reason I mentioned the stylophone was to show people that a $30 instrument can be usable.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:04 pm

If some VSE'er decides to import them mark me down for one.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

kylejun06

Post by kylejun06 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:50 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:If some VSE'er decides to import them mark me down for one.
well, once they come out, and if i'm able to buy enough of them off shelves, i'll buy and sell them to whoever wants one. i'm thinking whether i should turn this into some sort of profit, or a fair act to fair people. what should i do fellow vse'ers? hahahhaa.
Equipment: FL Studio 7, Reason, microKORG, Alesis Multimix 8 USB, Electribe EMX-1 (looking to sell/trade), Edirol PCR-M80, LSDJ, and my precious MXL 990s :]

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:08 pm

kylejun06 wrote:well, once they come out, and if i'm able to buy enough of them off shelves, i'll buy and sell them to whoever wants one. i'm thinking whether i should turn this into some sort of profit, or a fair act to fair people. what should i do fellow vse'ers? hahahhaa.
Well, I do come from the land of capitalism so I understand profit motive fo sho. But do give us a fair deal :D

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:10 pm

kylejun06 wrote:well, once they come out, and if i'm able to buy enough of them off shelves, i'll buy and sell them to whoever wants one. i'm thinking whether i should turn this into some sort of profit, or a fair act to fair people. what should i do fellow vse'ers? hahahhaa.
Well, I do come from the land of capitalism so I understand profit motive fo sho. But do give us a fair deal :D