Jomox Xbase 888---Samples,Videos or Review links

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
voltageHead

Jomox Xbase 888---Samples,Videos or Review links

Post by voltageHead » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:17 am

I have been thinking of buying a jomox xbase 888 sometime soon.
But I can't find very many videos or clips of it in action.
I was going to use it with a future retro revolution and some other stuff like tr606 tr707 and sh101.I was wanting to do live PA acid style tracks and jam sessions.it's tr style step sequencer and controls are part of the appeal to me.
I know it's not going to sound that much like a tr-808.
but i was kinda wanting to know how close it can get.
If anyone knows where i can see some good videos or audio clips of it in action that would be helpful.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:43 am

There really isn't much info/videos/demos out there so your gonna just have to buy one to hear it.:lol:

I bought one new and wound up getting rid of it...

the kick sounds great (not as good as an 808 though IMO), toms are horrible with limited controls, snare is c**p, the analog noise hihats are really cool though!

I feel like whole parameter lock thing is a great concept but on the jomox the parameters are so limited that it isn't very exciting IMO. You can do cool pitch changes and write bass lines, but why not do that with a synth?... is the conclusion I came to.

I don't like the whole dirty samples through analog filters concept, and as much as I am an analog w***e\snob I'm so much happier with a machinedrum (it took me going through two MDs before I realized how cool they are).

I wouldn't ever gig with a 888 live, mine had errors the first boot up out of the box. :cry: and as far as it being intuitive? nope. even when fully understood it ain't nearly as easy to use as a machinedrum.

It still is a wicked machine and I don't want to knock it too hard, just kind of feel like it was a let down and I've realized none of the jomox drum machines really do anything for me. Everything on them besides the kick drum sounds like a toy especially the snare.

I would wait for the linn II or get a machinedrum + vermona drm mkiii

cheers
for sale/trade: EML-101

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:51 am

Thanks nadafarms.
I think that I am just going to track down a TR-808.
I get worried about buying one because that they might not be in very good shape or work right.They are expensive but I am going to most likey get one anyway.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:04 am

The 888 is definitely worth checking out and i think its the best of the jomox drum machines. I would never pay 1500 for an old tr-808 I'm sorry but you gotta draw the line somewhere!

I would really recommend the vermona drm mkiii because its brand new... cheaper and all analog rawness like a tr-606 modded to h**l! especially the hi hats.

The vermona toms are the best i've heard on any analog drum machine. They have FM so you can make crazy tonal sounds, so warm and rich like an angel hitting a bell with its c**k!

Anyways, for the price of a 808 or an 888 you could get an sps-1 + vermona drm mkiii, or a tr-606 and a jomox mbase-01? your sonic pallet would be infinitely more diverse!

All said, if you gotta have that 808 you gotta.
for sale/trade: EML-101

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:35 am

hhmmm.
I am not really sure what to do.I have a tr-707,tr-606 and a Mbase01 already.I like to use my tr-707 with my mbase together I have a bunch of other stuff too.Too much stuff.In my current living situation i have only one room for gear and that room also is my bedroom.
I have a lot of nice gear I use to be very interested in the tr-808 and tr-909.
my tr-606 and tr-707 were my cheap substutues for them.
right now i am working on some stuff for a proformance that is coming up soon. After that I can switch some gear around and maybe buy a tr-808 or something like it.I am working with a future retro revolution,korg esx ,tr606 and a denon cd player for the show.
I would get rid of some stuff after awhile but even though I don't use it I might end up missing it.but i should get rid of some gear.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:08 am

um there is a mess of them on youtube..

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:36 pm

What type of music do you make?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

JSRockit