Sequencer to replace bassist

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Sequencer to replace bassist

Postby ZeeOne » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:32 pm

Our band cannot find a bass player to save our lives, and so we now f**k it.

However, our music does make use of low frequencies and grooves, so we need a sequencer that can store entire songs. It should have good bass sounds (obviously), and it should be footswtichable. It should also (if possible) be less than $1000.

Any suggestions?
ZeeOne

Gear: Just guitars for now

Postby wiss » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:27 am

do you use a real drummer?

do you own a bass?

just get an mpc, write/record the bassline(s)

sequence those in song mode with the correct tempo(s)

store the sequece and samples in the mpc of course

live, just take the mpc out and have the drummer trigger the songs

you can even program live jams

or you can do it with a sequence program and laptop of your choosing.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Postby Bitexion » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:56 am

All the "workstation" keyboards like the Roland Fantoms and Motifs have sequencers you can record every song you have, they also have tons of great bass sounds, not just synth but good samples of real bass guitars.

So with that you could just record your basslines in the sequencer and play it back live. Can quantize too so the rythm is steady all the time.

Laptops are scary to bring on a tour, you never know if it will crash suddenly..I've had that happen, it is embarassing to wait for the machine to reboot and load the files up again while the others and audience waits :P
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby crystalmsc » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:13 am

a Roland XP-60/80 plus a SR-JV80-10 bass and drum would get you closer for way cheaper than a grand. I got the board and it's great.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby shaft9000 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:36 pm

Just learn to play bass.

It will take about a week for any reasonably intelligent/musical person to come to grips with.
It's 4 strings and a fretboard, with a narrow range of variables. Think about it...

I say this because keyboards are thoroughly terrible at emulating them - playing one is an entirely different feeling and process, and will change the vibe of your piece so much it's not worth 'substituting' for.
...and sampling real bass constricts your composition options so i wouldn't wish that one anyone except the strictly "loopy".
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Postby reset » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:10 am

Roland TB-303 anyone? :D
LP TE/MonoMachine/XB09/SH101/09
reset

MPC?

Postby ficusrock » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:28 am

I second the MPC, that's the way I'm going. But if you don't want to deal with sampling or MIDI sequencing an external unit, you may have better luck with one of those Roland things (MC-909, Fantom).

I went from an MPC to an MC-808 and now am going back. The MPC is very intuitive, rock-solid, and fun to use.
ficusrock

Gear: Access Virus TI, NI Maschine

Postby sacredcow » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:05 am

I'd actually recommend buying a micron and having a band member tweak and change the short sequences it can play live.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)
sacredcow

Postby Hossinfeffa » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:07 am

reset wrote:Roland TB-303 anyone? :D

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Someone using it for what it was intended for. :lol:
Well fffff.
Hossinfeffa

Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Postby Bitexion » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:15 am

The Dandy Warhols warmed up for The Rolling Stones on their stadium tour 2 years ago. A girl was playing a Korg MS-20 all the time, but I couldn't figure out what sound she was playing, coz I heard no real synth sounds. Turns out she was the bassist in the band, and it sounded totally good. I didn't see a bass guitar player anywhere, but heard bass all the time. They are nowhere near electronica or techno, it's a light rock band.
The only times I noticed was when she'd turn the filter up and down manually once in a while. But mostly she stuck in the deep, low bass areas and you wouldn't notice it was a synth at all.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby Angstwulf » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:16 pm

How close to a real bass guitar do you need?

How "live" sounding are your bass lines? ie, can you do with rhythmic patterns or do you want the bass lines to go all over the place?

If you want to "replace" a bassist, go with a keyboard workstation w/ a built in sequencer. In the mix, some of them do a good job at sounding like a bass guitar and you have the option of programming other instrument sequences: synthy stuff, pads, percussions. Maybe a used Fantom or Triton. You should find the lower priced ones for under $1000.00.

If you like the non-guitar and patterned stuff, go for a groovebox like a Roland MC or an Electribe EMX-1.

Or get the best of both worlds and find a used E-Mu MPC or Yamaha RS7000.
Angstwulf

Postby adsr » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:53 pm

if you cant find a bass player, try looking for a keyboard player...

i know a band that had guitar and drums but no bass player. they found a keys player who played a Roland AX-7 thru a Roland JV1080 (or similar). she used a real jazz bass type sound and it sounded great (she was faster in her bass lines then most bass players i know). just a thought...
Micron - MMT8 - AX60 - MPC2000 - MPC500 - S2800 - CZ3000 - SK1 (x2) - SQ80 - EA1 - ER1 - mK - Poly 800 II - BSR - Alpha Juno2 - JV1010 - TR505 - MicroQ - DX21 - RT123
adsr

Postby Jack Spider » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:48 pm

adsr wrote:if you cant find a bass player, try looking for a keyboard player...

A good idea - it didn't harm The Doors, with Ray Manzarek handling the low end on his Piano Bass.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian
Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Postby Marching Pig » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:43 am

My band, The Repetition(http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=205570487), has no Bass player, I use a Micron (used to be just a Korg TR), triggering short (1-bar) sequences, or playing the groovier/less intense bits. I wasn't too crash hot with my left hand when we started the band (january '07), and had only had about 3 months of piano lessons.

So i'll play sequences with my left, and leads/pads/keys/chords/whatever with my right. Works like a charm :D

The only recording on there isn't that great, it was done over a year ago with just a TR through a bass amp... but I'll be sure to show anyone who's interested some new ones we're doing at the moment, once they're done.[/url]
Marching Pig

Postby kraku » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:21 am

I also suggest getting a keyboard player in your band who'll play the basslines with a synth. It's also cheaper than your budget limit of $1000 ;)

I've had a few gigs with my friends and about 50% of the time I was the one playing bass parts with a midi-controller & synth plugins. Worked great and I love it.
Misspellers of the world, unit!
kraku

Gear: genoQs Machines Nemo
Eurorack modular
Future Retro XS
Novation Supernova 2 Pro Keyboard
Kurzweil PC161
Rode K2
ESP EC-400
Ibanez SR-900
Band: Aflecht / Diesel UFO

Next