Full sounding Piano / Organ module recommendation?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
soundmodule

Full sounding Piano / Organ module recommendation?

Post by soundmodule » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:35 am

Hey there..

This is my first post here and I figured you might be able to help me on a hunt for a decent sound module / rack. I searched the forum beforehand and couldn't seem to find much about what I'm looking for.

A friend of mine is looking to sell of his rhodes/ace tone due to it being a pain to transport to and from shows. He asked about a simple / cheap / decent sounding module or rack that will allow him to split a midi keyboard with similar sounds. I myself am a synth guy and know a decent amount of info but know beans about modules / racks.

So my question is this: where might I begin my search to find an item like this? Under $500 preferred.

Hope this is enough info. Thanks in advance!

soundmodule

Post by soundmodule » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:01 pm

So one doesn't exist then? :lol:

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:25 pm

In another thread, I mentioned the Roland XV-2020. It's a nice, little box with some nice piano / organ tones. and, I bet you could get it for under $500 dollars.

But, I somehow doubt any keyboard or module could justly replace a real Rhodes. (But, I dream of owning either a Moog Opus 3 or Hammond XK3.)
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:47 pm

Roland JV-1010's can be had for under $200. Pretty decent bread-and-butter- ROMpler sounds. Then you can add the SR-JV80-08 "KEYBOARDS OF THE 60's & 70's" Expansion Board if the stock sounds don't suit your taste.

FYI, you might want to wait a couple of days before "bumping" a post. It's frowned upon to bump a thread within 12 hours.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:06 pm

i would also have suggested the jv-1010. for the same reason as Z stated.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

desdinova

Post by desdinova » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:17 pm

Unless you need it to be very small, I'd really suggest the 2080 over the 1010. The expandability and ease of programming more than make up for the 1.5+ spaces and extra cost.
rerum concordia discors | genre: wankery

King Julien

Post by King Julien » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:31 am

I'd suggest a Kurz PC2R w classic keys. Good bread and butter sounds, excellent pianos and EPs, but only average Hammond emulation and no combo organ. Should pick one up s/h for $500.

Emu vintage keys rack has an excellent Vox if that is an important sound. EPs are pretty average. Cheaper than the Kurz.

The Nord Electro rack is probably out of your price range. Excellent Rhodes. Same goes for Motif rack.