Modern replacement / approximation of the Yamaha CS 30 ?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Dr. Sound

Modern replacement / approximation of the Yamaha CS 30 ?

Post by Dr. Sound » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:25 am

Hello to all. I hope everyone is well.

Any suggestions on this topic are welcome. I am considering selling my Yamaha CS 30 to fund other various studio needs and free up some space in the short term, to be replaced soon after by a more modern alternative. This is not definite, but I trust fellow forum members would have the right ideas if it were to be. I would prefer a non modular solution, but let us not completely rule it out just yet.

This is an extremely difficult decision, as the beast can deliver every type of monophonic sound or effect I have heard or wanted to create with the exception of those involving self oscillation, plus that spring loaded pitch lever takes every bend beyond funky.

Initial thoughts were:
(1) Voyager OS with 2x each expansion box
(2) FR XS
(3) ?????

Thank you in advance for any guidance.
[ + ]

Ski

Post by Ski » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:26 am

I have a CS30L in literally brand new condition that I'll never sell. Wonderful machine.

Assuming you want a real analog replacement...

The Voyager is somewhat similar in tonal quality to the CS30/30L, but doesn't even come close in terms of modulation possibilities.

The Prophet '08 and the Andromeda rival or exceed the modulation capabilities of the CS30/30L, but they sound rather different, plus, they're polyphonic.

If you want monophonic, you might consider an original Evolver desktop, or a Mono Evolver Keyboard, as long as you don't mind the extra digital features. Or, you could give Dave Smith a call, and ask him if he'd cook up a monophonic version of the Prophet for you! ;)