Roland SH-3

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:50 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:C'mon AG - surely you generally aren't gonna diminish the value of a synth by adding MIDI or CV? Both are useful and shouldn't have any impact on the sound of the synth or inhibit the functionality in any way, well as long as a good job has been made of it.
If you can document that the modification was done by a well-known and respected synth tech, it MAY not affect the value. But most of them aren't... most of them are done by people who may only barely know what they're doing, or not know at all. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to slam down money for a synth that has been altered by just ANYONE... especially with the prices they're fetching. How are you going to know a good job has been done of it until you get it home, and it's too late?
On top of that, some modifications require aesthetic change. While I don't believe there are pure synth collectors out there, I know that some people who buy expensive analog synths want it to appear and function originally.
Like me. And I've been known to pay more for synths than they're actually worth. Do you want me to buy your synth? Don't chop it up or alter the electronics, and you may have a nut like me give you money.

In general, it pisses me off that people take increasingly rare and interesting devices and alter them simply so they don't have to play them themselves. Is quantization so important? Is it worth the money you'll lose? (not directed at anyone, just... well... everyone)

OriginalJambo wrote:Next thing you'll be telling us getting our boards serviced is a bad idea. ;)
Apparently you've never taken your board to a shitty tech.
Whether or not it's a bad idea depends on where you take it.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:00 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:In general, it pisses me off that people take increasingly rare and interesting devices and alter them simply so they don't have to play them themselves. Is quantization so important? Is it worth the money you'll lose?
Now there's a thread for a really, really, really rainy day.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:07 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
otto wrote:
OriginalJambo wrote:As you said, for $250 any analogue mono is good.
:wink:

The sound is very lovely - better than I expected (I don't know what I expected). I much prefer it to the sound of say Yamaha CS synths. It's much more organic and (don't say it!) fat/round/vintage sounding. This is my first SH I may have to try some others out. It also has some unique features that make it a lot of fun and open creative avenues not on other synths. This just might be a keeper. My only wish is that it had CV of some sort. If I decide to keep it I will probably install one of those synhouse midijacks.
Butcher!
It's a rare synth with a great sound... you will diminish its value with a modifcation like that. It is worth at least twice what you paid for it right now.
I think your wrong. I think that lack of CV are exactly the reason prices on these (or at least SH3a) aren't up to the level you would expect them to be. I can accept that maybe doing this to a SH3 might be bad due to its "rarity" but I have yet to see a real concrete number that were made. I think I'll paint it orange too.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:58 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:If you can document that the modification was done by a well-known and respected synth tech, it MAY not affect the value. But most of them aren't... most of them are done by people who may only barely know what they're doing, or not know at all. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to slam down money for a synth that has been altered by just ANYONE... especially with the prices they're fetching. How are you going to know a good job has been done of it until you get it home, and it's too late?
I see what you are saying, but isn't it fair to assume that most people who care enough to pay for a CV/MIDI mod in the first place are incredibly likely to make sure the tech who carries out the work is competent?

On top of that, some modifications require aesthetic change. While I don't believe there are pure synth collectors out there, I know that some people who buy expensive analog synths want it to appear and function originally.
Some do, but if done carefully and tastefully it'll still look fine to most people. And it'll still function as it originally would, just with the addition of MIDI or CV.
Like me. And I've been known to pay more for synths than they're actually worth. Do you want me to buy your synth? Don't chop it up or alter the electronics, and you may have a nut like me give you money.
That's fair enough, although I'd say you are probably in the minority.
In general, it pisses me off that people take increasingly rare and interesting devices and alter them simply so they don't have to play them themselves. Is quantization so important? Is it worth the money you'll lose? (not directed at anyone, just... well... everyone)
Yes, quantise can be very important. Not all of us have excellent timing and respectable chops (like you seem to have going by your videos), but we still want to make music. Also since synthesisers and sequencers often go hand in hand it often makes senses to have the ability to create completely perfect and robotic sequences - it's another tool for composition too ya know. ;)

If otto (or anyone else for that matter) wants to tastefully mod his synth so it's easier for him to make music with it, is that a crime? I know I don't regret modding my Polivoks - by a well respected synth tech here in the UK no less - for CV + gate as I can't play for s**t.

OriginalJambo wrote:Apparently you've never taken your board to a shitty tech.
Whether or not it's a bad idea depends on where you take it.
Actually I did and he wouldn't even look at it. So I took my business elsewhere. ;)

That's definitely a valid point, but I think many here would do their research first and not just hand their pride and joy over to a complete stranger.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:09 am

otto wrote:I think I'll paint it orange too.
Hit up that guy from Custom Synth then. He sure did a great job on that orange SH-09:

;)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:20 am

nathanscribe wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:In general, it pisses me off that people take increasingly rare and interesting devices and alter them simply so they don't have to play them themselves. Is quantization so important? Is it worth the money you'll lose?
Now there's a thread for a really, really, really rainy day.
I've thought about it, but I think I'd be lynched. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:22 am

otto wrote:I think your wrong. I think that lack of CV are exactly the reason prices on these (or at least SH3a) aren't up to the level you would expect them to be. I can accept that maybe doing this to a SH3 might be bad due to its "rarity" but I have yet to see a real concrete number that were made. I think I'll paint it orange too.
I could be. You might sell yours on the day when someone who was fine with that sort of butchery had lots of money to spend. You never know. : )

It's not about how many were made, it's that when you say "Moog Ripoff Filter" a lot of people's eyes light up. :::shrugs:::

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:33 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:If you can document that the modification was done by a well-known and respected synth tech, it MAY not affect the value. But most of them aren't... most of them are done by people who may only barely know what they're doing, or not know at all. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to slam down money for a synth that has been altered by just ANYONE... especially with the prices they're fetching. How are you going to know a good job has been done of it until you get it home, and it's too late?
I see what you are saying, but isn't it fair to assume that most people who care enough to pay for a CV/MIDI mod in the first place are incredibly likely to make sure the tech who carries out the work is competent?
I hope so! New Poll topic! :wink:

OriginalJambo wrote:
Some do, but if done carefully and tastefully it'll still look fine to most people. And it'll still function as it originally would, just with the addition of MIDI or CV.
I think in a lot of cases you're right.

OriginalJambo wrote:
That's fair enough, although I'd say you are probably in the minority.
Probably... but appealing to the minority with money (which isn't really me most of the time) is a good idea.
OriginalJambo wrote:
Yes, quantise can be very important. Not all of us have excellent timing and respectable chops (like you seem to have going by your videos), but we still want to make music. Also since synthesisers and sequencers often go hand in hand it often makes senses to have the ability to create completely perfect and robotic sequences - it's another tool for composition too ya know. ;)
:::throws up hands::: I sequenced nearly every note of my music from 1986 through 2000.
That and I got lucky on the videos. I'm not particularly technically proficient!

OriginalJambo wrote:If otto (or anyone else for that matter) wants to tastefully mod his synth so it's easier for him to make music with it, is that a crime? I know I don't regret modding my Polivoks - by a well respected synth tech here in the UK no less - for CV + gate as I can't play for s**t.
Well, in some cases I do think its a crime... in the cases where the synth is a rarity... and especially where it is a historically significant rarity. Of course, who cares what I think... but since there are without a doubt relatively few SH3s, it seems unfair to alter one to suit your personal needs unless you never intend to sell it.
I would encourage anyone to aesthetically and functionally alter their SH-101. :wink:

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:51 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:it seems unfair to alter one to suit your personal needs unless you never intend to sell it.
And who says otto intends to sell it? That's up to him of course. ;)
I would encourage anyone to aesthetically and functionally alter their SH-101. :wink:
Me too, so I could maybe grab one on the cheap. They sure look like a lot of fun (especially the thought of coupling one with a guitar strap), but all and all I'd rather have a microKORG. Maybe in the future I'll find one and add guitar strap pegs... :oops:

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:54 am

MOD IS MURDER!!!
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:52 am

otto wrote:MOD IS MURDER!!!
ha ha ha ha ha, you rock. :)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:55 am

Listen, instead of adding some cheapass mod to the thing, you can just have me come over. Since OJ thinks I'm the human equivalent to quantization, I'll just come over and play whatever you tell me to in robotically perfect time. Then you won't have to mutilate your precious gem. :wink:

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:09 am

If it's any consolation, I don't care if you mod it or not ;)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:37 am

hfinn wrote:If it's any consolation, I don't care if you mod it or not ;)
God, Heath... you TRAITOR. :wink:
Did you rape my PS-3100 with MIDI?

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:47 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:God, Heath... you TRAITOR. :wink:
Did you rape my PS-3100 with MIDI?
Actually not. It's still exactly the same, just with lots of new op amps and about 160 new capacitors.