Roland SH-3

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:36 pm

I am shocked at how similar the SH3 in those examples sounds to the SH3a. Interestinggggg. Granted, not a lot of filter work, but even so...
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:27 am

I'm curious as well since you say that. Comparing your videos and his I hear a fair amount of sonic difference and I noted mine generally sounds more like his. Theirs a bit more breatheyness in general, your SH3A sounds more clean to my ears (obviously youtube isn't the best place to compare minute details and since the rest of the synth would most likely remained unchanged they should sound fairly similar anyway). It would be nice to do some side by side comps. Maybe someone on here with an SH3A can make a few patches and post them and either electrocomp or I can make the same patches on the SH3 for comparison.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:20 am

otto wrote:I'm curious as well since you say that. Comparing your videos and his I hear a fair amount of sonic difference and I noted mine generally sounds more like his. Theirs a bit more breatheyness in general, your SH3A sounds more clean to my ears (obviously youtube isn't the best place to compare minute details and since the rest of the synth would most likely remained unchanged they should sound fairly similar anyway). It would be nice to do some side by side comps. Maybe someone on here with an SH3A can make a few patches and post them and either electrocomp or I can make the same patches on the SH3 for comparison.
The only difference between the two is the Moog ripoff filter, and as such, his should have a darker, warmer, richer sound.
If he would have jacked the resonance and did anything filtersweepy, the difference might have been more obvious to me, but during his videos, his sounded to my ears close enough to what mine sounded like when those functions were used as not trip the "whoa, wait a minute, that's not familiar" alarm in my head.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

Electrocomp-101

Post by Electrocomp-101 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:51 am

I will record some pure SH3 audio clips later today and post them.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:47 pm

Electrocomp-101 wrote:I will record some pure SH3 audio clips later today and post them.
That'd be awesome, Oliver. Thanks!

Electrocomp-101

Post by Electrocomp-101 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:01 pm

Woops I totally forgot! Tomorrow 100%... I better write myself a sticky this time...

Electrocomp-101

Post by Electrocomp-101 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:22 am

Hi Everyone,

I recorded some pure Roland SH3. Please head over to my blog post which has all the samples on it:
http://www.wiretotheear.com/2008/07/11/ ... dio-files/

Enjoy.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:01 am

I made a quick recording of my SH3 to show you the filter qualities. Recorded completely dry. I would love it if a SH3A owner piped in with some recordings.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:24 pm

Hey, thank you so much for posting those SH3 samples, you guys!
After listening to both of your recordings I can definitely say that there is a difference between the SH3 and SH3a.
The SH3 has more of the characteristics which make Moog filters desirable. It has a fuller, warmer filter sound, and I think was able to detect a richer general (non-resonant-non-filtery) sound.

I can't say how much it's worth, but I can say that it should be worth more than the SH3a.
I wish I still had mine so I could post sounds for comparison!

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:54 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Hey, thank you so much for posting those SH3 samples, you guys!
After listening to both of your recordings I can definitely say that there is a difference between the SH3 and SH3a.
The SH3 has more of the characteristics which make Moog filters desirable. It has a fuller, warmer filter sound, and I think was able to detect a richer general (non-resonant-non-filtery) sound.

I can't say how much it's worth, but I can say that it should be worth more than the SH3a.
I wish I still had mine so I could post sounds for comparison!
I read somewhere that both the filter and the VCA were moog rip-offs. That might account for the "non-filtered" sound being richer.

I quite like it. I really got it with the intention of trying it out and selling it if I wasn't interested but I think it's a keeper.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:21 pm

I'm trying to determine actual rarity of these. If you have an SH3 or even an SH3A would you please let me know the serial number. Also if anyone knows anything about the way Roland did their serial numbers that would be nice (many companies did odd serial numbering such as dates within the number and that appears to be what Roland has done).

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:43 pm

Otto, you should be able to determine the date of manufacture/completion with the help of the Roland serial number chart in this thread:

http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/view ... al+numbers

As for rarity and quantity, well the SH-3 is without doubt a rare synth but not as super-rare as some people might think. I could only find the serial numbers for two units and they are #230253 and #2404XX.

This means that a) at least 400 SH-3's were made since the last 4 digits refer to number of units built B) the units with the s/n given above were built/completed in June and July 1974 respectively.

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:58 pm

Thanks Micke - however I'm unclear about whether they were numbered sequentially for each of the same items or every item roland produced. In other words if they started at 1 for every product made than you might have different products with the same serial number which isn't a problem or did they serialize each thing they made consecutively. In other words might a 250555 be an SH3 and a 250556 be an SH1000?

At any rate my SH3 is serial number 270798 (October '74). I've asked another person who is attempting to sell his for $2500 and his serial number is 240476(July '74. If ever product starts out at **0001 than there seem to be at least 798 in existence assuming mine was that last one made :lol: - I'm waiting on serial number information from other people to get a broader scope. On the other hand if other products are intermingled in the serialization it may be impossible to say how many were made. The bottom of the chart answers that question but I'm not totally sure where this chart came from and how reliable it is (and it does say *most likely*).

The scarcity issue doesn't really bother me, either way it is a great synth. I just didn't buy the hyperbole of "only 40 being produced" and it looks like I was right.

The chart again:
Last edited by otto on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Electrocomp-101

Post by Electrocomp-101 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:14 pm

Hi Guys,

I forgot to check my serial number today... tomorrow I will chime in. Dam my memory!