Can't find a Roland JD990!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
gd

Post by gd » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:27 pm

yes if reading from the exp.card, I have layered a few but use a data card to save the patches to.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:34 pm

White wrote:At the moment, the JD will let me choose one sound from the VINTAGE board. Is that right?
Correct, and that's probably my only real annoyance with it (accessing sounds from the expansion board). But, you can also access additional sounds on the Vintage Expansion not available to those who own JV/XPs. I just went through and saved the ones I liked most to internal memory.

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:33 pm

So, I need to save 64 sounds individually (one by one) into the internal bank? And then re-save them onto a RAM card/Dump them out via midi?
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:57 am

Is the Vintage board really that awesome?

When I got mine it had the Orchestra board in it, which I sold on ebay, but haven't managed to find a decently priced Vintage board yet.

Just wondering how much it's worth? (sonically and financially)

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:58 pm

braincandy wrote:I'm not an expert on audio, but I remember reading Don Solaris' post on KSS stating that there was less compression of the waveforms on the JD-990 than on the JV/XP, thus giving it an edge in audio quality.
It appears the compression in JD-990 is non destructive. However, the compression in Super JV, XP, XV is destructive (similar to mp3 compression). Here is the proof - pay attention to the "hole" (ignore the rest of the pic as it is about something else).

Keep in mind that the *main* difference still comes from the fact that JD-990 is using 44.1 kHz engine, while JV/XP runs @ 32 kHz. Thus, samples in the JD are 44.1kHz, JV/XP is 32kHz. Difference on some sounds is day / night.

White wrote:So, I need to save 64 sounds individually (one by one) into the internal bank? And then re-save them onto a RAM card/Dump them out via midi?
Of course you don't need to do that.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... st19658131

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:02 pm

If I was to get a Techno or Dance JV expansion board, would that work with the JD990?

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:48 am

Architecture wrote:If I was to get a Techno or Dance JV expansion board, would that work with the JD990?

I will rip out my Techno card from XP-30 (comes included) and give it to you for free!

Trust me you really don't need that card. It might be interesting to a young teenager who wants to make a (15 years outdated) "techno", but for someone who creates new music - no way.

You got the JD. It's the factory of techno sounds! Oscillator sync, FM, 24dB filter, 12dB filter, ring modulation (AM). What else do you need?

Damn! I got so horny now. Can't wait to get home and do some wild sounds on JD! Did you know you can use any slave oscillator for the osc sync? Not just the "saw" or "square" as on analog synth. Ha!

\:D/

mikewelch7
Gear: DSI MEK, Rack
Manikin Memotron
Waldorf XTk
Wavestation
Roland JD-990, JD-800

Post by mikewelch7 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:20 pm

If only I could rip it out of the XP-30...

The keyboardist in my band plays patches from it when he wants to annoy the h**l out of the other band members. It always works...

I really like the vintage synth, 60's and 70's (great Rhodes, Hammond, Clav, Mellotron) and the World cards (very cool sounds that are unique in a band setting)
DSI MEK, Rack, Mopho X4,
Waldorf XTk
Wavestation
Roland JD-990, JD-800, JP 8080, Kawai SX210, Moog Voyager
http://www.myspace.com/golsf

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:49 pm

Don Solaris wrote:
Architecture wrote:If I was to get a Techno or Dance JV expansion board, would that work with the JD990?

I will rip out my Techno card from XP-30 (comes included) and give it to you for free!

Trust me you really don't need that card. It might be interesting to a young teenager who wants to make a (15 years outdated) "techno", but for someone who creates new music - no way.

You got the JD. It's the factory of techno sounds! Oscillator sync, FM, 24dB filter, 12dB filter, ring modulation (AM). What else do you need?

Damn! I got so horny now. Can't wait to get home and do some wild sounds on JD! Did you know you can use any slave oscillator for the osc sync? Not just the "saw" or "square" as on analog synth. Ha!

\:D/
I know the vintage one is the one to have, but I dont' feel like spending another mass sum of money to get it at the moment. If its really worth it, I'll just hold off until I master whats already in the JD990.

I mean, buying a D550 and JD990 was a bit much for one weekend as it is. lol.

P.S. Id still be interested in that card if you dont want it ;), just for the novelty factor.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:55 pm

*enters thread*
Don Solaris wrote:Damn! I got so horny now.
:shock:

*slowly walks away*

mikewelch7
Gear: DSI MEK, Rack
Manikin Memotron
Waldorf XTk
Wavestation
Roland JD-990, JD-800

Post by mikewelch7 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:21 am

P.S. Id still be interested in that card if you dont want it ;), just for the novelty factor
It is, sadly, hardwired to the XP-30 forever wasting an expansion port.
Last edited by mikewelch7 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSI MEK, Rack, Mopho X4,
Waldorf XTk
Wavestation
Roland JD-990, JD-800, JP 8080, Kawai SX210, Moog Voyager
http://www.myspace.com/golsf

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:23 am

Architecture wrote:I mean, buying a D550 and JD990 was a bit much for one weekend as it is. lol.
those two are much synths for years to me :) some of Roland's best. I never bored with the sound of the D and play alot with it all the time. While the JD sound quality always impress me even compared to current synths.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

bgi

Post by bgi » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:51 pm

crystalmsc wrote:those two are much synths for years to me :) some of Roland's best. I never bored with the sound of the D and play alot with it all the time. While the JD sound quality always impress me even compared to current synths.
Wut he said * 10.
Yamaha YPG-625, MO8, AN1x; Roland JP-8000, D-550, JD-990; Korg Legacy Collection; Guild D50, Epiphone Sheraton II, Homemade 8-string bass guitar

Dano

Post by Dano » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:45 am

Architecture wrote:P.S. Id still be interested in that card if you dont want it ;), just for the novelty factor.
Congrats on the JD990!

I'm pretty sure that the Techno expansion in the XP-30 is hard-wired in (or at least that's what the SOSPubs review said). I've never opened my XP-30 up other than to add the Vintage Synths card. FWIW, I think there are some good samples and patches on the Techno card but there are several cards I'd get before it though.

Dano

Post by Dano » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:20 pm

Don Solaris wrote:Keep in mind that the *main* difference still comes from the fact that JD-990 is using 44.1 kHz engine, while JV/XP runs @ 32 kHz. Thus, samples in the JD are 44.1kHz, JV/XP is 32kHz. Difference on some sounds is day / night.

The higher sample rate just increases the aliasing threshold - Is that correct?