Synth advice

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Synth advice

Post by BlackGnosis » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Hello... I come to you in seeking advice..

I'm selling my JP-8080 and as much as I like using it, I feel somewhat limited using the "roland sound" in my music. my MC-808 picks up a lot of sack that this synth leaves and I've felt that I can let both go. I miss my EMX-1 a lot and have considered selling the 8080 and the 808 together on ebay reserve of 1k, not sure if its entirely wise, I really want to get myself a VIrus KC. I've played with the TI at guitar center and adore it greatly. however I think I've been narrow minded about what I should explore. so im open to suggestions. Can I get some info on the KORG RADIAS? [is it the poor mans virus?] and also I'd like to learn what are great alternatives to the virus [I'v e taken a look at the prophet 08 and loved it! however its something I see myself goofing off on more then playing for music]

I use my computers for drum and sampling, and everything else for synth stuff. I can never see myself parting with my mk and I like a lot of sounds I get out of it [factory are okay, but that little machine has a lot of potential!!!!] I like the 8080 for only the fact about its "softer" htyper saws and triangle and sine wave "NES" sounds you can get from it....oh and the vocoder is a huge plus too, yet with it I feel "limited" and spend hours attempting to seduce it into creating more interesting sounds that are "practical" for what I'd like to do.

I'm open VSE. and if your interested in getting a 808 and a 8080 I'll happily trade for a Virus KC =D but I'd doubt anyone would want to do that =P

Edit: It might help if I mention I want an industrial and modern futurpop sound to pull off =D
Last edited by BlackGnosis on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Synth advice

Post by JMP » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:00 pm

BlackGnosis wrote:Can I get some info on the KORG RADIAS? [is it the poor mans virus?]
Probably, but there's room for both imo. The Virus Ti gives a lot more but with a price tag to match. Although so far, the Radias has given me nicer drum kits, EP's and Vocal noises, is the fraction of the price of a Ti and still cheaper against a KC.

I've also had a JP8000/8080 and liked them both but the Radias and/or Virus are better buys imo.

Just get both. :)

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:04 pm

I would if my credit card wasn't on its knees and my job gave me full time hours again =P

I just enjoy the wavetable-esque generators on the virus and that aggressive hard tone you can get out of it =D I should go play on both today and compare <3
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:57 pm

Here's an idea...

-you like the sounds of the microkorg
-but by selling the 8080 you'll be missing a really hands on knobby unit

soooo...

-sell both
-get an MS2000rack (mK equivalent but much more hands on)
-and something nice that you like for the rest :wink:

I know what you mean by feeling limited by the 8080... it's kind of annoying in the long run to use it. The MS2000R is much, much nicer IMHO.
Monkey business since 2007!

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:04 pm

2nd hand Monomachine mk1 :wink:

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:41 pm

Sexor wrote:Here's an idea...

-you like the sounds of the microkorg
-but by selling the 8080 you'll be missing a really hands on knobby unit

soooo...

-sell both
-get an MS2000rack (mK equivalent but much more hands on)
-and something nice that you like for the rest :wink:

I know what you mean by feeling limited by the 8080... it's kind of annoying in the long run to use it. The MS2000R is much, much nicer IMHO.
One of the reasons I never sell my mk is due to the fact my mum gave it to me =) and I dont like selling gifts cause then I wouldn't truly appreciate it :/

But a MS2k does sound like a jolly good idea. rack or keys? and is it more poly?

I ask rack or keys cause one of the big things I dig about the mk was the fact it has its own little keys to poke and chord =3 however rack is nice and out of the way...
I wonder if it will fit on a RADIAS keyboard rack slot....its made to hold 2 racks supposedly.. [though looking at pics I'd highly doubt that!]

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:14 am

BlackGnosis wrote:I just enjoy the wavetable-esque generators on the virus and that aggressive hard tone you can get out of it =D I should go play on both today and compare <3
may be the microwaveXT is also worth to check out. it's my pick for that type of sound.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:31 am

crystalmsc wrote:
BlackGnosis wrote:I just enjoy the wavetable-esque generators on the virus and that aggressive hard tone you can get out of it =D I should go play on both today and compare <3
may be the microwaveXT is also worth to check out. it's my pick for that type of sound.
I always did like the Q from waldorf. if I can get my hands on one I'll play with it a bit =3. then again I've heard some rockin' samples from the microwave. I used t want one till I realised it'd be hard to get a hold of one locally x.x

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:08 pm

BlackGnosis wrote: One of the reasons I never sell my mk is due to the fact my mum gave it to me =) and I dont like selling gifts cause then I wouldn't truly appreciate it :/

But a MS2k does sound like a jolly good idea. rack or keys? and is it more poly?

I ask rack or keys cause one of the big things I dig about the mk was the fact it has its own little keys to poke and chord =3 however rack is nice and out of the way...
I wonder if it will fit on a RADIAS keyboard rack slot....its made to hold 2 racks supposedly.. [though looking at pics I'd highly doubt that!]
I know how you feel about the gift thing, I have sentimental issues along with a few others... :P But both the Korg MS2000 and MicroKorg are 4 voice polyphonic; they actually share the same engine. But the RADIAS should be able to hold the MS2000 rack since it's 19" like most racks; guaranteed the MS2000 probably won't lock into place like the RADIAS does. But I'm sure you can do some kind of alteration to make it work. Of course I can't offer any opinions on any of these, but you can find reviews on these sites:
http://www.harmony-central.com
http://www.sonicstate.com
http://www.soundonsound.com

I'm not sure if your open to real analogue as opposed to VA. But if so, the Roland JX line can be had cheaply and eats VA's for breakfast. I've tried Virus TI, Korg R3, Korg MicroKorg, Roland SH-201, and even owned an Alesis Ion for about a year but my 8P obliterates them all in sound and quality. Even the raw waveforms on the 8P sounded better than the Ion's waveforms on all the filters(including the Moog, OB, and JP etc). They can be had for around $200 or less on eBay and are a great buy for those looking for authentic 80's analogue sound. Then again all the music I play was originally done on 70-80's analogue, so I could be somewhat biased. :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:38 pm

To be honest I like a lot of real analogue synths, especially old moogs [cause I like the dirty] and obies [who can resist?]I like the bellish organs you can get out of a JX-3p. one of the synths I want o get my hands on after getting something I can workhorse [henece my interest in a virus and other multi-timbral synths] howe ver I love the darkness you can coax easily from a SH-101 and a SH-2. so i've got a late 70's early 80's analogue taste. as for modern sound I used to want a MEK but I very easily get lost using it and have a bit of difficulty making cools sounds with it. evolver at least I can work with cause it reminds me of the KORG mk, Im not 100% sure but I like the old obnoxious yellow Waldorf Q, it had a great analogue tone that was meaty and heavy that I liked...however I was never sure if it was a Ana or a digi, but I heard some of the most amazing pads on that keyboard. and as for leads nothing beast the SC/DSI prophet sounds....

on an odd note I dont like many VA's simly cause of what I hear them produce. I like the mk, but not any nords. I kinda liked the SH-201, but only its "hard agressive' loopy feel it can give. it seemed to be missing something, plus I didnt care for its filters too much, but that can always be fixed with another device [my BOSS V-wah for example]...the 8080 is awesome but its not a very practical synth nfor what I want to do... Great for any trance fanatics. h**l I'll goof off and play Adajo on voice chat on SL and watc h people go nuts over it...[feedback makes such an awesome penetrating sound]

One of the things I get really fussy with are drums and sampling, which is why I originally got my MC_808 [which was also intended to break my bnd with FLS, however I find I play both just as happily]

I almost picked up a JX-3 a few months back however it was sold before I could get my hands on it =(it was beautiful and well taken care of too!

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:56 am

I want to say that the Waldorf Q is VA and that the Q+ adds real VCF's. Have you considered the Andromeda or Prophet '08? From what I hear they're both awesome. Best thing to do is check Guitar Center and other local music stores to see what they have; and also ask if they can bring in synths you are wanting to demo. YouTube is a great starting place to find demos of what a synth can sound like. Best thing to do is to start a chart of ones you want to try and as you try them write your notes and comments down and once you have all your data make you a comparison chart along with the pros and cons of each synth. That or you win the lottery and buy all of them. :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:26 am

Box wrote:I want to say that the Waldorf Q is VA and that the Q+ adds real VCF's. Have you considered the Andromeda or Prophet '08? From what I hear they're both awesome. Best thing to do is check Guitar Center and other local music stores to see what they have; and also ask if they can bring in synths you are wanting to demo. YouTube is a great starting place to find demos of what a synth can sound like. Best thing to do is to start a chart of ones you want to try and as you try them write your notes and comments down and once you have all your data make you a comparison chart along with the pros and cons of each synth. That or you win the lottery and buy all of them. :P
I've never gotten my hands on an andromeda, however i've hear d it in aciton before. the prophet 08 is a completely awesome machine, its definately something I want to have in my studio in the future, I like the older Seq~1 cir~1 synths also. ,l next trip to GC I want to poke around with the Korg RADIAS and see how it does =D\ as well as toy with the TI and the new prophet. Is the DSI MEK still sold?

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:06 pm

BlackGnosis wrote: I've never gotten my hands on an andromeda, however i've hear d it in aciton before. the prophet 08 is a completely awesome machine, its definately something I want to have in my studio in the future, I like the older Seq~1 cir~1 synths also. ,l next trip to GC I want to poke around with the Korg RADIAS and see how it does =D\ as well as toy with the TI and the new prophet. Is the DSI MEK still sold?
Yes the MEK is still being made and sold.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:44 pm

Well I finally went to Guitar center, and sadly t hey did have a Virus TI for me to poke and wish I could have in stock, nor did they have a RADIAS. I was urged to try the "R3" due to a similar engine as the RADIAS, and if the RADIAS is a multi-timbrel version of the R3, its totally sold with me =D also I gave a bunch of synths a second shot, mainly the X0 and all the "expanded" versions of it. I still like it, but feel its a somewhat limiting syn th for something to use on the fly, so I figure that should go on my "ooh get that later" list as it seemed to have great potential.

Korg for some reason seems to really have me lately. Oddly enough in my 3 1/2 hour visit, it seemed that everything that they were trying to sell were all workstations. so I was a bit bugged there weren't many dedicated Synths about :(.