SK-20 for $200 USD?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

SK-20 for $200 USD?

Postby synthgeek5108 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:19 am

ok so I saw an advertisement for an SK-20 for 200 with a road case.

I'm currently asking about it's working order (maybe that'll scare him off, it is indeed a dud), but I am curious at what point the SK-20. What is it worth when it's in excellent working order? When it's in okay working order? When it's a dud?

here are the pictures from he ad

I figure that the 200 is good for the case at least, but whatever opinions you have on it are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
SG5108

PS It's nice to be back, again. Hope you are all well.
Boss: Dr-550, DR-3
Casio: VL-Tone
E-mu: Emax II
Ensoniq: KS-32, SQ-1
Korg: microKorg, Poly-800
Roland: JX-3P, Juno 106
synthgeek5108

Postby Carey M » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:57 am

If it is in good working condition, I'd pay around 250 euros for one... If I was looking for an okay ensemble keyboard with okay string machine and some hammondesque sounds. It's by no means a phenomenal board, but it's okay for some sounds. I gigged quite a lot with it when I had mine, very sturdy build quality.

- CM
Carey M

Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Postby V301H » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:04 pm

Recent eBay sales have been around $500 without a case. That case looks like the one that came with my CS70M.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50
V301H

Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:13 pm

The SK-20 is great if you're an organist looking for a small organ to tote around, but otherwise it is just a string synth.
Do NOT pay $500 for one.
However, $200 with case is fair.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby OMNI26 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:10 am

I love the Yamaha SK-series synths, and used an SK-20 for YEARS with a band. Fantastic organ sound, and great 'electronic sounding' strings. Polysynth section....not so great. Biggest drawback is the large size and weight, but they look cool on stage.

Anyway, I've owned several of them, the last one being about 5 years ago. I was trying to raise some cash then, and I remember at the time not getting ANY interest from anyone in it. I finally sold it for $160 and felt very lucky that anyone would even take it off my hands.....they just weren't very popular at the time. Now, for some reason, they have gotten quite pricey. But yes, they are cool units. I still, however, would not pay more than $350 or so for one in nice shape, but that's just me.
OMNI26

Postby Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:43 am

I have been wanting an SK-30 for probably 6 years. They're just so bulky, and they never come up when I have the dough. An SK-30 is worth money to me because it has a monosynth... a full synthesizer... atop the string synth, the lame polysynth, and the digital organ. Yes, digital organ. The organ section is digital, I'm to understand. Not like it matters... an organ is an organ, and sinewaves are sinewaves, but still.
The SK-20 just doesn't have enough going on to make it valuable from an analog fanatic perspective, and as such, should not be going for premium prices from that angle.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Postby OMNI26 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:34 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The organ section is digital, I'm to understand. Not like it matters... an organ is an organ, and sinewaves are sinewaves, but still.

That's true. In fact, from what I understand, the organ section uses FM technology that Yamaha later used in the DX-series synths. The organ on the SK-20 did sound great, though, but personally I think that the DX-7 is capable of incredibly accurate Hammond simulation. It is just sine waves, as you say. The Leslie effect that you choose to run it through, makes all the difference (The SK-20's built in Leslie effect is good, but not at all great, BTW).
OMNI26

Postby WhinyLittleRunt » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:01 pm

I had one at one point. Not being an organ player I found it pretty much useless because the string synth section wasn't all that great and the polysynth was a 1-osc joke. The organ itself did sound really good, but if you don't use it, it's just a heavy doorstop. Too much bulk for 1 halfway-decent sound.

I will admit though that if you run the string section with the organ mixed in slightly, and throw it through a phaser - it will sound cool. It has a leslie output too.
sequential circuits prophet t8 | oberheim ob-8 | moog minimoog model d | moog opus 3 | yamaha s90es | yamaha cp30 | arp omni-2 | linndrum | roland cr8000 | korg kr55 | simmons sdsv | 82 rhodes mark II stage | wurlitzer 200a | hammond m100
WhinyLittleRunt

Postby Denms20 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:44 am

200 dollars is a steal with a case in my area. I just traded an SK30 for a leslie a while back, the leslie was marked at 650 in the store.
Like others said, the hammond is so so, I actually have MP3's somewhere here of it. I'd put it somewhere between the roland RS-o9 and the old analog Korg CX3. The polysynth is limited, kind of cheezy. The strings are kind of thin, but if you like string machines you'll like them. The saving grace is you can layer sounds and get them sounding pretty symphonic.
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com
Denms20

Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Return to Buyer's Guide