Yamaha PSS-460

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:29 am

I agree. There's just something about the PSR and PSS line that strikes me as good. I had a PSR, but gave it back to my father, and I still have my PSS. It's a cool little synth, and I got it for $40.

What also proves interesting is taking these and running them through some effects. You can really get some good sounds doing that as well.
Well fffff.

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:36 am

Effects are good. I've got some really good "wet" "kissy sell out" style sounds out of running the PSS "drums" through a sherman filterbank.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:52 am

If its the one im thinking about it was my first keyboard when I was about 8! it has synth like ADSR sliders, so its actually a decent keyboard with a bit more than your typical PSS sounds.

+ I have heard its a real good model to bend!

wish I still had mine.

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:35 am

Cam VanDerHorst wrote:
Tyler2000 wrote:They are going up to about $40 tops on ebay. Get one on ebay. I prefer the PSS-480 anyway. Tell you what. I have a PSS-460, give me a pm and we can work out a price if you like.
Tyler, thanks for the offer! I've seen your setup and it looks amazing. If I really fall in love with my 460, I may take you up on your offer. I really do want an analog synth as my next toy, though.
Thanks for the kind words. I was offering you a PSS-460, turns out it was a 470 anyway. I don't think there is much difference. I though you said you wanted a microkorg as your next toy.

Oh, and just curious, where about do you live?
so what do I put down here now?

daybyter

Post by daybyter » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:49 pm

I don't like the midsize keys, other than that, it's a great toy.

Listen to:

The bigger psr are also traded very cheap. Have seen a PSR 6700 recently for 140 Euros.

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:58 pm

Black Tomorrow wrote:Congrats on thenew PSS. Despite the "amateur" nature of the PSS and PSR lines, they're often underrated. I started out 12 years ago with a PSR 185, eventually upgrading to a PSR 740. Since then, I've built up a decent sized collection of higher end synths, and I still have my PSR. Even after buying a Triton, which I thought would replace any need for the PSR, I'm still finding it useful. So even when you decide to move on to bigger and better, you may want to think twice before getting rid of the PSS. You just never know when it will come in handy.
yea, go PSR!!!!!!!

although im missing the collection of high end synths you mentioned XD

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:44 am

I currently have a very circuit bent pss570 (black version of the 470), but the bugger is broke cos I dropped it and all the CB switches broke :cry:

But I also have a pss-41 so I'm happy... the pss41 is IMHO the pinnacle of the "digital synthesizer" era portasounds that had the sliders on the front (I realize the pss680 is the BEST, but who wants to f**k around with a PC and a portasound? :roll: ) Anyways, the 41 has full-sized keys, midi in/out AND a "Detune" slider instead of a "wave" slider... It acts as a sort of detune/chorus setting and basically results in colossally huge stereo sounds (which more than makes up for the lack of dirty BBD chorus).

On a side note, all this talk of pss470s and college reminds me of one day back in my first year of university... The only synth I had to my name at that point was a dw8000 (which was back at home), so I lept on a 470 when I tried it out in a used music store. I didn't know anything about it, but as soon as I started fiddling, I was in love.
Anyways, I also had a student radio show with a buddy at the time. Our show was at 9AM on a saturday! :shock: We would bring bits (such as the portasound or SP202) to play live on air. One saturday, we had been out on a cider bender the night before, and were basically still drunk that morning. Drinking during the show didn't help matters.
As we left the student union building at 11am after the show, we were not in the best of mindsets. I happen to have both the portasound and the sp202 in a trash bag. Some bit of bad news triggered a drunken angry reaction, and I swung the bag against a nearby wall. Upon realizing what I'd done, I looked inside the bag to see that I'd knocked off two of the 202's knobs. A friend had given it to me, and I felt very stupid. Looking for somewhere else to lay the blame, I directed my drunken rage towards the 470. For the next 5 minutes, my friend and I stomped and pummeled that little keyboard into the sidewalk. It was the most satisfying destruction I've ever taken part in in my life. The 470 literally exploded into pieces as the stomped and threw it.
At the end, nothing was left exceot for the Yamaha logo.... We threw all the reamains over the wall where they remain to this day. Some say that if you walk by the Bristol Uni. student union at 11am on a saturday, you can hear the anguished cries of the portasound as it's electrons were exstinguisehed for ever. :lol:

True story. =D>
Do you even post on vse bro?

immigrantboy

Post by immigrantboy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:07 am

I have the PSS-480. Its pretty much the same engine, but you can change the frequencies of the carrier and modulator waves seperately, which I don't belive you can do with the 460. But the 460 has slider controls as has been said, which I would opt for if I didn't end up with the 480. I paid $30 for mine, shipped. Though I've been seeing them go on ebay for about $75. I'd say they're worth it. Fun and toy-like rudimentary FM synthesis, swell for lofi, probably could use some effects if you want to take it the next step.

Just a heads up-there is some inherent noise to these boards, they have a low noise-distortion range and a fairly prominent digital hiss, which I hear is common amongst FM synths.
Main Gear: Korg M500, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha PSS-480, sitar, cassette tapes
Toys: Casio PT-87, Casio SA-40 "Magical Dial", Casio Rapman, "The Crappy Keyboard"

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:49 am

immigrantboy wrote:Just a heads up-there is some inherent noise to these boards, they have a low noise-distortion range and a fairly prominent digital hiss, which I hear is common amongst FM synths.
Mine you can tap on the case and hear that being picked up in the recording/speakers. :lol:
Well fffff.

Cam VanDerHorst
Gear: Roland JV-80, Reason 4, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, KORG DS-10

Post by Cam VanDerHorst » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:05 am

Tyler2000 wrote:I though you said you wanted a microkorg as your next toy.

Oh, and just curious, where about do you live?
Aren't MicroKorgs analog?

I live in Northeast Ohio.

immigrantboy & Hossinfeffa:
I did notice the "hiss" inherent in these things, I actually find it quite charming - how about you guys?

Hossinfeffa

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:21 am

Cam VanDerHorst wrote:immigrantboy & Hossinfeffa:
I did notice the "hiss" inherent in these things, I actually find it quite charming - how about you guys?
I don't mind it on that. But if it was on something like a DX-7, I probably would mind it a little.
Well fffff.

Cam VanDerHorst
Gear: Roland JV-80, Reason 4, Moog Little Phatty Stage II, KORG DS-10

Post by Cam VanDerHorst » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:29 am

Hossinfeffa wrote:
I don't mind it on that. But if it was on something like a DX-7, I probably would mind it a little.
Thanks for that, now my Strawberry Crush is all over my laptop keyboard. :lol:

Hossinfeffa

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:46 am

Cam VanDerHorst wrote:Thanks for that, now my Strawberry Crush is all over my laptop keyboard. :lol:
Well fffff.

immigrantboy

Post by immigrantboy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:19 am

Hossinfeffa wrote:
It is kind of charming, albeit annoying when one wants a clean sound. Nice and washed out with the more abrasive, highly modulated sounds. Its not so bad that you can't drop it out of the high end.

Nevertheless, its not so disruptive that I wouldn't dish out a double digit figure on one. If it were at DX-7's price range however, it would indeed be bothersome.
Main Gear: Korg M500, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha PSS-480, sitar, cassette tapes
Toys: Casio PT-87, Casio SA-40 "Magical Dial", Casio Rapman, "The Crappy Keyboard"

Hossinfeffa

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:36 am

I can't find the site now, but a long time ago I found an album composed entirely from Yamaha PSS and PSR keyboards. Here's one of the songs I downloaded from the site.. it's really catchy I think. ;)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/15218909f040d9eb/

I seriously played this song on repeat for a few nights after I found it.

Here's some info on the album it came from:

"Aavikko and friends get together to pay tribute to their favorite instrument: the Yamaha PSS Home Organ! Five European bands are featured here: from Germany, Frederik Schikowski (PSS-680) and Jeans Team (PSS-560); from Finland, Aavikko (PSS-680); from Iceland, Apparat Organ Quartet (PSS-390, PSS-480 & PC-100!); and from Sweden, Pluxus (PS-300). The tracks on Team Yamaha demonstrate that having the newest, most expensive keyboard is not as important as having the talent to play it. Cheap, versitile and easy to use, the Yamaha PSS series of portable synths can be found the world over in almost every genre of music that comes in contact with electricity. The gamut here runs from the twisted video game theme music sounds of Aavikko's "My Yamaha" to the sentimental dance tune "Polynesia" by Apparat Organ Quartet. Pluxus is perhaps the most "produced" sounding of the septet with the glitch pop number "Slow Rock", while the uber primitive award is a two way split between Frederik Schikowski's "Kreissegmente", which sounds as though it was recorded using only his PSS-680, and fellow Germans Jeans Team, with their baroque 8-bit reggae number "Spagaluzzi" which features a coda referencing Ravel's Bolero. In closing we should add that we have literally a handful of these on CD and 7" and once these are gone, they're gone for good. So get them while they're hot."

I did find the site just now, but sadly, the album is still out of print.
Well fffff.